NATS1740 SECOND TEST STUDY GUIDE ASTRONOMY
- Change in frequency of waves because of relative motion between observer & the source
- Each successive wavecrest is released from a progressively greater source & arrives later then it
would if source was motionless
- Blue-Shift: When an object in space moves toward us, it’s light waves are compressed into
higher frequencies & it’s wavelengths are compressed
- Red-Shift: When an object moves away from us, it’s light waves are stretched into shorter
frequencies or longer wavelengths
- Larger the lens diameter, longer focal length & the image obtained.
- Convex Lenses: Objective, Focal Point, Eye-Piece, Eye
- Concave & Convex reflective lenses mirror: Secondary mirror, Primary mirror, eye-piece
- Optical telescopes have to be at high altitude, because most wavelengths are bad for ground
- High-resolution radio observations Interferometers.
- Balloons, high altitude planes/satellites, equipped with s