Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1000
Professor
Brian Huss
Semester
Winter

Description
personal identity ([email protected]) - the question: what accounts for the fact that I am the same person now as I was when I was six years old? - it is difficult to see what could account for my identity over time, given that almost all of my properties have changed. - is it even really a fact that I am the same person as the six year-old Brian? is that really true? Parfit’s view t t t 1 2 3 A A A q-memory A A A q-memory A A A q-memory 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A1 A1 A A 2 2 A3 A3 A 3 A 4 A5 A 5 A A 6 6 A 7 A 8 A 9 - where A -1 a9e actions, q-memory is defined as on p. 362b, and the boxes indicate connectedness. - q-states are defined so as to not beg the question – so as to not assume identity. - with respect to survival: - 1 → t2: continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 2 - 2 → t 3 continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 3 - 1 → t 3 continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 1 - this shows that connectedness, unlike continuity, is a matter of degree. (1) Survival of a person over time is a matter of connectedness. (2) Connectedness is a matter of degree. ___________________________________________________ (3) Survival of a person over time is a mat
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit