personal identity ([email protected])
- the question: what accounts for the fact that I am the same person now as I was when I was six years old?
- it is difficult to see what could account for my identity over time, given that almost all of my properties have
- is it even really a fact that I am the same person as the six year-old Brian? is that really true?
t t t
1 2 3
A A A q-memory A A A q-memory A A A q-memory
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A3 A3 A 3
A5 A 5
- where A -1 a9e actions, q-memory is defined as on p. 362b, and the boxes indicate connectedness.
- q-states are defined so as to not beg the question – so as to not assume identity.
- with respect to survival:
- 1 → t2: continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 2
- 2 → t 3 continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 3
- 1 → t 3 continuity absolutely and connectedness to a factor of 1
- this shows that connectedness, unlike continuity, is a matter of degree.
(1) Survival of a person over time is a matter of connectedness.
(2) Connectedness is a matter of degree.
(3) Survival of a person over time is a mat