Philosophy (679)
PHIL 1000 (69)

Philosophy Class 3.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PHIL 1000
David Stamos

Christy Leung Intro to Philosophy Class 3 nd Sept. 22 2010 Valid Argument Forms: - i.e. Modus Ponens – famous form of deductive argument p => q p thus, q -i.e. Modus Tollens (if it is raining outside, my car is wet; if it is not raining outside therefore my car is not wet) [~ not; => if __ then __ ] p => q ~q thus, ~p -i.e. Disjunctive Syllogism [v= or; ~ not] p v q ~q thus, p -i.e. Reductio ad Absurdum (contradiction) (670-671) [. = and] p p => q q => r i.e. r => ~p thus, p . ~p Invalid Forms that look Valid -i.e. Affirming the Consequent (if P then Q) p => q q thus, p -i.e. Denying the Antecedent (i.e. If it’s raining outside, then my car is wet/ It’s not raining outside/ thus My car is not wet) p => q ~p thus, ~q Opinion – point of view on something; you can have opinion on anything - Argument – one or more premises supporting a conclusion; when you give statements to back up the truth of the conclusion - Premises are statements; they are either true or false - A question is not a premise; statements are either simple or compound – simply statement is one where if you break it up in parts you don’t get statements; compound would be made out of two or mor
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.