PHIL 1611 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Neurology, Overdetermination, Martin Heidegger

95 views13 pages

Document Summary

Our reading is meditation ii which contains the essential ingredients of descartes" dualism. However, to present a fuller and more complete presentation of descartes" doctrine i will refer to a couple of quotations from meditation vi. Either i am deceived, or i am not deceived. Possible rebuttal: not even an omnipotent demon can make a contradiction true i. e. , can make a square circle or two things occupy the same space at the same time. Note: this type of reply would satisfy most philosophers and contemporaries of descartes. For example, suarez in his disputationes metaphysicae of 1597 taught that eternal truths of which logical truths are included are independent of the will of god. The angles of a triangle, for instance, must add up to 180 degrees. This was not seen as a slight or constraint on god"s power since god is free to create triangles or not. However, once god brought them into being their veracity is immutable.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers