POLS 1000 (212)

October 15 - lecture.pdf

2 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Political Science
POLS 1000
Natalie Guriel

Ancient Rome I I. The centrality of Rome a) The Roman Republic - II. Rome and its Cleavages a) Julius Caesar – why such an end? b) Founding the Republic c) Senate, Consuls and Generals d) Imperium and Personal Power III. Rome and Politics a) The People · Tribunes · TribalAssembly · The ‘mob’ b) Formal vs. Real politics · Actual vs. real political control · Maintaining/manipulating the status quo c) Citizenship · Protection of ‘liberty’ · Equality not a condition of liberty. IV. Protective and Instrumental Republicanism ▯ ▯ ▯ - rome plays into political thinking - Ancient rome is divided into 2 periods - republican, imperial - Julius caesar - transitions between republican to imperial - Republican - more fluid politics - Imperial - centralized rulers and dominated by an emperor at all times - 490 bc - 48 bc - republican - Republic - system of government which does not allow power to fall in heredity, it may ultimately rest power with the people and the rule of law - Power does not reside with one person or be based on blood - It shouldn't be independent of the will of the people - End of republic - Julius - Brutus and cassias assassinated Julius - Julius is not the first general to March or have f
More Less

Related notes for POLS 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.