The Global South: Politics, Policy & Development
POLS 3560 – Fall/Winter 2011/2012 – Ananya Mukherjee-Reed
Lecture 9 – Developmental State – Nov 15
What Explains Growth
o Relationship between agrarian and industrial structure.
o Nature of technological change.
o Pattern of structural change.
o Intersectoral resource flow.
How did South Korea Grow?
- Main views
o Export-led growth.
o State interventionism.
Japanese Colonialism (1910-1945)
- Colonial educational system.
o Japanese language and culture.
- Occupation of land.
- Industrialization and modernization.
- 1948 August, Republic of Korea established.
- 1948 September, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea established.
o Premier: Kim Il-Sung.
- President Rhee Syngman (1948-1960) resigned amid popular protests.
- 1961 military coup by Park Chung-Gee.
What did Park do?
- Land reform.
- Confiscate wealth.
- Envisioned a transformation from merchant capitalism to industrial capitalism.
- Established a bureaucracy and an ‘autonomous’ developmental state.
Importance of Land Reform
- What are land reforms?
- What are the differences between land reforms in Latin America and East Asia?
- What is the author’s main argument about land reforms?
Difference Between East Asia and Latin America
- ‘Squeeze’ agriculture without stifling growth.
- How? By curbing the power of the landlords. - In Latin America this was