William James
Tried to understand the flow of consciousness
Started functionalism
Principles of Psychology most influential text in psychology history
John Watson
Founded behaviourism
give me a dozen healthy infants...and I can turn them into whatever
Sigmund Freud
Coined the unconsciousness thoughts, memories, desires, well below the surface of
conscious awareness but nonetheless exerts great influence on behaviour.
people are not masters of their own minds
Freudian slips blurting out words
Thought that behaviour was greatly influenced by how people cope with sexual urges
B.F. Skinner
Radical behaviour people more likely to respond to positive outcomes than neutral
or negative outcomes (conditioned reflexes)
www.notesolution.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Psychology: derived from greek words psyche meaning soul and logos meaning study of an object. Intellectual parents were 19th century philosophy and physiology. Wilhelm wundt (german: father of psychology, started first journal and laboratory for psychology research, stanley hall (american, first president of american psychological association, studied with wundt. William james: tried to understand the flow of consciousness, started functionalism, principles of psychology most influential text in psychology history. Give me a dozen healthy infantsand i can turn them into whatever . Sigmund freud: coined the unconsciousness thoughts, memories, desires, well below the surface of conscious awareness but nonetheless exerts great influence on behaviour. People are not masters of their own minds : freudian slips blurting out words, thought that behaviour was greatly influenced by how people cope with sexual urges. B. f. skinner: radical behaviour people more likely to respond to positive outcomes than neutral or negative outcomes (conditioned reflexes) www. notesolution. com, wrote beyond freedom and dignity (1971)