Chapter 2 study notes from power points.
- central nervous systems : brain, spinal cord.
- Peripheral nervous system : somatic nervous system,
autonomic nervous system (sympathetic nervous system,
parasympathetic nervous system.)
THE PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
- (PNS) is made up of the nerves that connect the central
nervous system to the rest of the body. NERVES ARE NOT
A PART OF THE CNS, just connect them.
- Subdivided into two major sections : somatic nervous
system and the autonomic nervous system.
SOMACTIC NERVOUS SYSTEM
- SNS consists of the sensory nerves and motor nerves.
- SNS makes it possible to sense our environment and react
to it. To move intentionally.
AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM
- transmits message between the CNS and the glands.
- Divided into two parts : sympathetic (mobilizes the fight
or flight response for our survival) and parasympathetic
(induces relaxation, demobilizes the body)
Biological Psychology & the ANS
- Health psychology focuses on the nature and effects of
- Individual differences in the stress responses like
REACTIVITY & INTENSITY are tied to health.
Thomas boyce had argued that there are differences across
children when it comes to sensitivity to their environment. He
called this the BSC meaning biological sensitivity to context.
Children with a heightened BSC are predicted to be more