Psychology (4,078)
PSYC 1010 (1,337)

Psychology Lecture # 14 Notes.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 1010
Rebecca Jubis

January 30, 2013 Psychology Lecture # 14 Notes Intelligence Continued (Modules 27-31)  Structure of I.Q. (Factor theories) - 2 views: 1) I.Q. is “general capacity” o Do well across a variety of tasks 2) I.Q. is made up of individual, independent abilities o Smart in one area but not so much in others  Factor Analysis – is a statistical technique that determines whether a question of a test or across tests are related to one another - Spearman also did factor analysis and found everything is correlated, which is one factor which is referred to as „G factor‟ (one factor) o Ex. Draw diagram:  Nature-Nurture Controversy 1) Family Studies – try to assess the influence of heredity on intelligence (I.Q.) by examining blood relatives and seeing how familiar their I.Q. scores are o Sometimes called concordant studies (correlation) Ex. If you look at a pair of relatives and study the correlation in I.Q. scores. They first look at 1 degree relatives (brother and sister or parent and child) – share about 50% of their genes. 2 degree relative rd (aunt and niece) – share 25% of their genes. 3 degree relatives – share 12.5% of their genes. o They found out that the closer you are related, the more correlation. But there is a confounding variable – which can be the environment. 2) Twin Studies – identical twins (share 100% of their genes) are compared to fraternal twins (share 50% of their genes) o Correlation is higher when identical twins are raised together in the same household, suggests that the environment plays a role. But when twins are apart (different households) the correlation is lower for their I.Q. o The problem with this study is that their sample size is small o As well as for the environment even though the twins are separated they still did share their pre-natal environment 3) Adoption studies – adoptive parent and child  Both genetics and the environment influence I.Q. but how do they interact with one another? - Heredity sets the limits on I.Q. and the environment determines where a person falls within these limits (reaction range) - Reaction range – refers to the genetically determined limits on I.Q. this range is about 20-25 I.Q. points - Draw diagram:  Flynn Effect – (environment plays a role on I.Q.) - Performance on I.Q. test has generally, progressively, steadily over generations - An I.Q. today is set at 100 but your I.Q. today may be 100 but in the 1930‟s that would have been an I.Q. of 120 o The environment could play a role or maybe we are getting better at performing tasks Motivation of Work also Emotions (Module 32-37 but for Module 33 only 33-4)  Motivation has two components: A) Drive 9the energy/urge to accomplish something) or Arousal (energizing or activation physiologically or mental) B) Gold Directed Behavior – motivation/drive behind what you want  Theories of Motivation
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.