Psychology
Course
PSYC 1010
Professor
Rebecca Jubis
Semester
Winter

Description
January 16, 2013    Storage in LTM    1. Procedural Memory ‐                ‐memory for how to do things (i.e. riding a bike)        ‐implicit memory (process that information unconsciously(automatic)  2. Declarative memory (memory for facts)            ‐ explicit memories (deliberate conscious and effortful)  (a) Semantic memory                ‐general information and things that we have over learned      (b) Episodic memory                  ‐memory for specific events, usually unique rather than repeated  events    Inability to recall from LTM    ‐the information is available but not accessible (i.e. tip‐of‐the –tongue phenomenon)  Why is information not accessible?  1. context dependent forgetting (encoding specificity hypothesis)     ‐not being able to recall because the cues used at retrieval are    different from those used at encoding.  You’re using an inappropriate    search strategy     (a) State dependent forgetting                  ‐your state (physical or mental) or mood is different at  encoding and   retrieval                  ‐Sober=s; D=drunk                  state Encoded Info  State retrieved info            s      s        ideal        d      d       better  performance    d      s        mismatch so it is harder     s      d      to recall the encoded info   (b) Mood‐congruency effect      
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit