Psychology
Course
PSYC 1010
Professor
Jennifer Steeves
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 6: Learning Red – Definition Blue - Important Points Green - Important People & Contributions Everything in here is Covered in Lecture Nov 12 2012 1. Learning – Any relatively durable Change in Behavior or Knowledge that is due to Experience. 2. Conditioning – LearningAssociations between events that occur in an Organisms Environment. 3. Classical Conditioning a. Phobias – Irrational Fears of specific Objects or Situations. b. Classical Conditioning – Type of Learning in which a Stimulus acquires the Capacity to Evoke a Response that was originally evoked by another Stimulus. c. Ivan Pavlov i. Pavlovian Conditioning ii. Pavlov’s Dogs – Prior to Dogs being Fed Meat, a Clicking Noise Occurred. 1. Dogs started SalivatingAfter awhile when the Click Occurred, prior to the Meat being given. 2. Dogs salivated whenever Click happened, even if there was no Meat. 3. Salivating became a ConditionedAssociation. d. Terminology & Procedures i. Unconditioned Stimulus (UCS) – AStimulus that evokes an Unconditional response without previous Conditioning. ii. Unconditioned Response (UCR) – An Unlearned Reaction to an Unconditioned Stimulus that occurs without previous Conditioning. iii. Conditioned Stimulus (CS) – APreviously Neutral Stimulus that through Conditioning, can Evoke a Conditioned Response. iv. Conditioned Response (CR) –ALearned Reaction to a Conditioned Stimulus that occurs because of Previous Conditioning. v. Sometimes, The UCR and the CR can be the same thing. vi. Conditioned Reflex – Conditioned Response is relativelyAutomatic or Involuntary. 1. John B Watson a. LittleAlbert Experiment. b. The More Similar new Stimuli are to the Original CS, the Greater the Generalization. vii. Stimulus Discrimination – Occurs when an Organism that has learned a Response to a Specific Stimulus does Not Respond in the same way to a new Stimuli that are Similar to the Original Stimulus. 1. The Less Similar new Stimuli are to the Original CS, the greater the Likelihood of Discrimination. viii. Higher-Order Conditioning – AConditioned Stimulus functions as if it were an Unconditioned Stimulus. 4. Operant Conditioning a. B. F. Skinner b. Operant Conditioning – AForm of Learning in which Responses come to be Controlled by their Consequences. i. Classical Conditioning = Reflexive, Involuntary Responses. ii. Operant Conditioning = Voluntary Responses. c. Edward Thorndike i. Instrumental Learning ii. Law of Effect – If a Response in the presence of a Stimulus leads to Positive Effects, theAssociations between the Stimulus and Response is Strengthened. 1. Learning is Gradually “Stamped In” to the Mind. d. B.F. Skinner i. Reinforcement – Occurs when an event following a Response increases the Organisms tendency to make that Response. 1. AResponse is strengthened because it leads to Rewarding Results. ii. Terminology & Procedure 1. Operant Chamber / Skinner Box – Small Enclosure where anAnimal can make a specific Response that is recorded, while the consequences are controlled. 2. Reinforcement Contingencies – Circumstances or Rules that determine whether Responses lead to the Presentation of Reinforcers. 3. Cumulative Recorder – Creates Record of a Responding and Reinforcement in a Skinner Box as a function of Time. e. Basic Processes in Operant Conditioning. i. Acquisition, Then Shaping. ii. Shaping – The Reinforcement of closer and closerApproximations of a Desired Response.
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit