Psychology
Course
PSYC 1010
Professor
Julie Dowsett
Semester
Winter

Description
Theories  of  emotions   Common  sense   • stimulusà  conscious  feelingàautonomic  arousal   • “I  tremble  because  I  feel  afraid”     James-­‐Lange   • Stimulusà  autonomic  arousalàconscious  feeling     • “I  feel  afraid  because  I  tremble”   • Every  different  emotion  is  accompanied  by  a  specific  pattern  or  set  of   reactions.  You  use  that  info  to  give  you  feedback  about  the  emotion  that  you   are  feeling     Cannon-­‐Bard   • Stimulusàsubcortical  brain  activity  (thalamus)àindependently  and   simultaneously  you  get:  (1)  emotional  experience  and  (2)  autonomic  or   physiological  arousal  (general  arousal)   • You  can  have  physiological  reactions  but  that  doesn’t  necessarily  lead  to   emotions   • One  general  type  of  arousal     • “The  dog  makes  me  tremble  and  I  feel  afraid”     Schachter’s  2  factor  theory   • StimulusàGeneral  arousalàcognitive  appraisalàconscious  feeling   • “I  label  my  trembling  as  fear  because  I  appraise  the  situation  as  dangerous”     spill  over  effectà  the  arousal  will  spill  over,  the  arousal  fuels  the  emotions  and  the   cognitions  will  direct  that  arousal     Zajonc  &  LeDoux   • Emotions  can  follow  two  different  brain  pathways     • Stimulusà  emotional  response  OR   •  Stimulusàappraisalàemotional  response     Lazurus     • When  you  do  a  cognitive  appraisal  of  a  situation,  this  can  happen   unconsciously  (unlike  Schachter,  where  it’s  conscious)       Happiness,  surprise,  disgust,  sadness,  fearàPure  emotions   Desire,  jealous,  pride,  love,  disappointmentàMixed  emotions   • A  combination  of  the  pure  emotions     Facial  feedback  hypothesis   • You  can  use  facial  expressions  as  feedback  of  wha
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit