Class Notes (835,107)
Canada (508,933)
York University (35,180)
Psychology (4,108)
PSYC 2120 (160)
Lecture 2

PSYC 2120 Lecture 2: Social Psychology (1)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYC 2120
Professor
Ward Struthers
Semester
Winter

Description
Social Psychology- Lecture 2 ,2017-01-17 Strength/weaknesses of an experiment (on test) Strengths Can determine casual relationships Weaknesses procedures Major theoretical perspectives (dominant theoretical study in the 60’s) Learning theory (it means our behaviour is affected by stimuli or environment or changed by steroid) - We are faced with stimuli in the world, we are affected, when we are faced with certain stimuli we respond in a certain way, and if that response happens again when we are faced with that stimuli then we learn to respond within that stimuli, - Reinforcement is not always positive; it is anything that increases our respond - Stimuli doesn’t always lead to reinforcement it leads to cognition as well Consistency/balance theory (humans means drive for balance or consistency in their lives, particular between the way they think and what they do - This is cognition and behaviour, we want them to sort of be even with each other, balances, but it doesn’t always happen, sometimes we think a certain way and we do something different. - according to this theory cognitive dissonance, was developed by Festinger, we strive for the balance between our thoughts and actions, when unbalances it creates distension called balance. - Most people are like most likely to change our cognition, people don’t want to be embarrassed to change their behaviour than vice versa. Sometimes people want to shake things up. Attribution theory (describes family of theories that explains how people determine the causes of events) - If something went well or bad I want to know how things happen, you explicitly do that. - Also don’t explain everything. Exchange and Equity theory (argue that economic theory of human interactions (you do something for me, I do something for you). - They describe a lot of human interactions. Social Psychology, Lecture 3: Self concept defined - Self-concept: refers to the set of thoughts and beliefs that define who people think they are and the way they regard themselves. In other words, the self involves specific beliefs about who you are - involves number of things, you might see yourself as athletic, bright, daughter, son, can including various roles. Self-esteem: the positive and genitive vale that one places on him or herself Self-efficiency: how condiment and competent one
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2120

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit