Psychology
Course
PSYC 2130
Professor
Ravi Naimpally
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture 6: Desire -Approach-avoid is anxiety -Goal Theory -Murray talked about motives instead of drives -Pavlov -instead of bell there was shock but dog realizes after Lewin -Approach- approach conflict -double approach avoidance conflict -Activates both wanting and avoiding system Definition of a Goal -Goal is behavioural orientation to moves towards a goal even if there are obstacles -Discrepancy Reduction and the “Happiness of Pursuit” -compared (what I want) comparator (what you have) -goal shielding (ignore everything except the goal) -disengagement from a goal (move away from it) -Automatic (i.e., Unconscious) goals -Ziegarnik effect (you feel antsy because you don’t get to say what u had to say before the conversations gets pulled in another direction) -people primed with words like achieve and win want to stay on hard tasks but people who are primed with words like love, etc. want to move on the funnier tasks. -Mystery mood (when unconscious goal is blocked) feeling sad because of what happened earlier but you don’t know why -goal shielding (goal shielded by another goal that is more active in
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2130

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit