Psychology (4,070)
PSYC 2510 (86)

Research Methods.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 2510
Richard N Lalonde

Lecture #2 - PSYC 2510 Research Methods • Psychology is the scientific study of behaviour and mental processes • Assumption: events are governed by some lawful order Scientific approach: Searching for order • Goals: 1. Measurement and description 2. Explanation/Understanding 3. Prediction 4. Application and control Stages in the Research Process 1. Initial observations & review of literature 2. Research question – hypothesis (theory) 3. Design study 4. Collect & analyze data 5. Evaluate the hypothesis / theory Principle of Falsifiability • A theory must make predictions that are specific enough to expose the theory to the possibility of disconfirmation • The theory should predict not only what will happen, but also what will not happen The Scientific Method: Terminology • Operational definitions ‐‐ clarifies precisely what is meant by each variable • Participants or subjects ‐‐ organisms whose beh. is systematically observed • Statistics ‐‐ used to analyze data and decide whether hypotheses are supported • Findings shared through reports at scientific meetings and in scientific journals HOMER an acronym for scientific method  Hypothesize (dev. Ideas/ theory)  Operationalize - translate concepts into testable & measurable ones  Measure - examine ideas in a research design  Evaluate - statistics  Replicate/revise/report Scientific Methods • procedures for gathering & interpreting evidence in ways that limit sources of error and yield dependable conclusions • Two frequent types of methods – EXPERIMENTAL METHODS • Q. Does variable X have a causal effect on variable Y? – CORRELATIONAL METHODS • Q. Is there an association between variable X and variable Y? Experimental Methods Two features of experiments – 1. Manipulation • Independent variable – 2. Control • Extraneous variables Example exp. ‐effects of beer on memory – Hypothesis – people who drink too much beer will suffer impairment in memory • Independent variable (I.V.) – manipulated by experimenter (amount of beer) • Dependent variable (D.V.) (variable measured) – by researcher to gauge effects of I.V. (# items recalled on memory test) • Extraneous variables – factors that put into question the causal relationship between the I.V. and the D.V. by providing alternative explanations for observed changes in D.V. – e.g., beer experience, weight Example Experiment • I.V. – 3 levels or conditions that vary amount of alcohol: between- subjects design • 8 beer cond. (10 Ss) • 2 beer cond. (10 Ss) • 0 beer cond. (10 Ss) – Control cond. ‐‐ no exposure to IV • D.V: # of words recalled from a list of 25 words • Results (average scores on DV) – 8 beer cond. M = 5 – 2 beer cond. M = 12 – 0 beer cond. M = 20 • Conclusion? – increase in alcohol consumption causes impairment in memory Example Experiment • BUT ,WHAT IF … – 0 beer cond. has 10 female Ss (M = 20) – 8 beer cond. has 10 male Ss (M = 5) • Does the difference between 2 conditions reflect the effect of alcohol (I.V.) or of gender (extraneous variable)? – Gender is an extraneous (or confounding) var. that provides an alternative explanation for results
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2510

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.