PSYC 3140 Lecture Notes - Secretarial Pool, Circular Definition, Autonomic Nervous System

33 views4 pages

Document Summary

General adaptation syndrome: when there is something that is threatening the first phase will be alarm. The second phase will be to mobilize our resources to react and that works in a short run. If i feel endangered and i need to run away my body has to be ready (heart racing, breathing quickly, start running). After awhile, if i still feel endangered i will go through the third phase and become exhausted. Signs of stress: mood problems, bodily problems, cognitive problems (signs), physiological-fight or flight response (cannon) -autonomic nervous system, example: light headed, the sweats, dry mouth, shallow breathing, tense, shaking. Refer to stress scale on handout as well as the story on the handout labeled herbert. What are some aspects that cause stress: two psychologists: holmes and rahe interested in major life events. These are the key sources of stress (not necessarily bad events but simply a change in our routine).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers