York University (33,530)
Psychology (4,070)
PSYC 3140 (168)

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 3140
Joel Goldberg

ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY LECTURE: JANUARY 29TH, 2013 TOPIC: STRESS AND COPING ➔ Stress ◦ Is it circular? Is it what you are experiencing or is it a cause? Does stress cause more stress? → circular definition. ◦ Medical Definition ▪ “Stress is the nonspecific response of a body to any demand, whether it is caused by, or results in, pleasant or unpleasant conditions.” ▪ The term stress is ambiguous – stress is used to refer to a cause and also to a reaction - “stress causes me stress” • Fight versus Flight Response ➔ GeneralAdaptation Syndrome ◦ When there is something that is threatening the first phase will be alarm. The second phase will be to mobilize our resources to react and that works in a short run. If I feel endangered and I need to run away my body has to be ready (heart racing, breathing quickly, start running).After awhile, if I still feel endangered I will go through the third phase and become exhausted. ➔ Signs of Stress ◦ Mood Problems, Bodily problems, Cognitive problems (signs). ▪ Physiological-fight or flight response (Cannon) -autonomic nervous system. • Example: light headed, the sweats, dry mouth, shallow breathing, tense, shaking. ➔ Refer to Stress Scale on Handout as well as the Story on the handout labeled “Herbert Freudenberger, 73, Coiner of 'Burnout,' Is Dead”. ◦ Burnout itself does not mean working a long day. ◦ What does Burnout really mean? ▪ “The extinction pf motivation or incentive, especially when one's devotion to a cause or relationship fails to produce the desired results” ~Freudenberger • Signs of Burnout ◦ Lose patience (impatience – feel over-burdened) ◦ Irritability -feel pessimistic and overly-critical ◦ Inflexibility -more rule bound ◦ Behavioural signs in workplace – increased mistakes, absences, lateness, leaving work early, decreased work productivity, argumentativeness, callousness, alcohol/drug use, over-eating/not eating, interpersonal withdrawal. ➔ What are some aspects that cause stress? ◦ Two psychologists: Holmes and Rahe → interested in major life events. These are the key sources of stress (not necessarily bad events but simply a change in our routine).Asked 100's of people about major events in their life that caused sources of stress/ strain. ▪ The major life event that is right in the middle (50) → marriage! ▪ The MOST stressful event • Death of a spouse ◦ Life events -Social Readjustment Rating Scale ◦ Correlated with illness (the more stressful events the higher your chances of obtaining or becoming vulnerable to illness). ➔ Daily Hassles are VERY stressful !! ◦ Example: exams, balancing school and work demands, family problems, money problems, relationship problems etc. ◦ ClassActivity → Exams and trying to balancing school and work demands were rated as the highest stress. ➔ Occupational Stress ◦ High Stress ▪ Exposure to dangerous work conditions -factory workers. ▪ Uncertainty about layoffs. ▪ Middle Management -accountable to someone above them. ▪ Nurses -Neonatal intensive care (taking care of little babies in intensive care). ◦ Low Stress ▪ University Professor. ▪ Clerical Supervisors -someone in charge of secretarial pool. ➔ Refer to Stress Scale on Handout ◦ What is the questionnaire a test of? ▪ Competitiveness and aggressiveness traits. ▪ TypeAPersonality • People prone to heart disease • Famous long term study of people who might be at risk for heart problems. The researchers chose a small place in Massachusetts. They were interested in blood pressure, hypertension etc (biological aspects). They were also interested in personality characteristics. They were worried no one would fund them a grant for a study on personality. So they decided to call it “TypeA” so it would sound scientific and they would get the grant. ◦ People who have high scores on this TypeAleads to higher risks of cardiac problems. ◦ Perfectionism → been associated with a higher risk for illness. ➔ Richard Lazarus ◦ It is not just stressful events and that we had a test in the first part of this class today, it is also how we look at that test. Is this stressor an opportunity for me to fail again and pr
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3140

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.