Psyc 3140 Course Outline 2013

5 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3140
Professor
Jennifer Lewin

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Page 1 of 5
HH/PSYC 3140 3.0 section Q Winter 2013
ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY
Internet Course: January 7 to April 8, 2013
Final Exam Period: April 10 to 26, 2013
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND OBJECTIVES
This course provides an overview of the etiology, symptomology, and treatment of the
major clinical disorders. Students will be asked to consider the historically and socially
constructed nature of mental illness. The examination of mood, psychotic, and
personality disorders, as well as developmental and neurological problems will also be
covered. Additionally, identity problems, anxiety conditions, and learned (phobias,
substance abuse, cultural deprivation, etc.) patterns of abnormal behaviour will be
studied. Overall, this course is designed to provide you with an introduction to adult
psychopathology and to develop your ability to think critically about issues pertaining to
mental health.
Course Director: Jennifer Lewin
Office: 142 Behavioural Sciences Building
Office Hour: Wednesdays 5-6pm
Course website: moodle.yorku.ca
Teaching Assistants: James Watson Gaze & Linda Moradzadeh
Accessing the course website:
You will need a Passport York account to access the course website. When you type in
“moodle.yorku.ca”, you will be asked immediately for your username and password
information (Passport York account information) in the top right hand side of the page.
After entering this information, your list of courses that use moodle will appear, click on
HH/PSYC3140 Q - Abnormal Psychology (Winter 2012-2013). You will then be
logged into the psyc3140Q course website.
How to reach your instructor or teaching assistant
The method for contacting teaching assistants to ask questions about the textbook
material is to post your questions on the public forum on the course website. When
posting questions regarding textbook material, please be specific and provide page
numbers. The TAs will be able to provide better answers if you are specific with
your questions. This is a public forum for students to post questions and obtain answers
from teaching assistants regarding class material. Your posted questions will be answered
within a 24-hour period.
The best method to contact the instructor is via email ([email protected]). Please limit
the content of these emails to personal issues (e.g., indicating you will be missing a test
due to illness or death in family, requests to use alternate exam centre, etc.) or
Page 2 of 5
administrative issues (e.g., not enrolled in course, difficulty logging onto course website,
etc.).
Prerequisites: Psyc 1010 6.0 with a minimum grade of C.
Required text: Barlow, D.H., Durand, V.M., & Stewart, S.H. (2012). Abnormal
Psychology: An Integrative Approach, 3rd Canadian edition. Toronto: Nelson.
COURSE FORMAT AND EVALUATION
This correspondence course will consist of three non-cumulative tests based solely on
textbook readings.
Evaluation:
1) Test 1: Sunday, February 10, 6 to 8:50pm, location TBA 30%
2) Test 2: Sunday, March 17, 6 to 8:50pm, location TBA 35%
3) Test 3: TBA, during exam period: April 10 to April 26, 2013 35%
The above course requirements and weights are final and will not be adjusted. Final
marks are final and will not be adjusted in order to “boost” students into the next letter
grade.
TESTS
Both tests will have a similar format, consisting of multiple choice, short answer (e.g., fill
in the blank), and short essay (i.e., 2 to 3 paragraph answers) questions. Tests will be
comprised of 60 to 70 multiple-choice questions, 10 to 15 short answer, and 2 to 3 short
essay questions, which will be based solely on assigned textbook readings. Students will
be given 170 minutes to complete tests. Some sample multiple-choice questions will be
posted on the course website before Test 1 only, 1 week before Test 1. As there is no
lecture component, it is easy to get behind in this course. It is imperative that all students
keep up with course content, and be prepared to write exams on time. Students are
required to write all tests on the scheduled dates. Special, makeup test dates will be
granted only on religious, medical, or compassionate grounds (e.g., death in the family)
with appropriate documentation provided. Please see the “Religious Observance
Policy” and/or “Policy for Missed Tests and Examinations” sections for more
information regarding protocol and documentation requirements. Tests will not be

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
HH/PSYC 3140 3.0 section Q Winter 2013 ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY Internet Course: January 7 to April 8, 2013 Final Exam Period: April 10 to 26, 2013 COURSE DESCRIPTION AND OBJECTIVES This course provides an overview of the etiology, symptomology, and treatment of the major clinical disorders. Students will be asked to consider the historically and socially constructed nature of mental illness. The examination of mood, psychotic, and personality disorders, as well as developmental and neurological problems will also be covered. Additionally, identity problems, anxiety conditions, and learned (phobias, substance abuse, cultural deprivation, etc.) patterns of abnormal behaviour will be studied. Overall, this course is designed to provide you with an introduction to adult psychopathology and to develop your ability to think critically about issues pertaining to mental health. Course Director: Jennifer Lewin Office: 142 Behavioural Sciences Building Office Hour: Wednesdays 5-6pm Email: [email protected] Course website: moodle.yorku.ca Teaching Assistants: James Watson Gaze & Linda Moradzadeh Accessing the course website: You will need a Passport York account to access the course website. When you type in “moodle.yorku.ca”, you will be asked immediately for your username and password information (Passport York account information) in the top right hand side of the page. After entering this information, your list of courses that use moodle will appear, click on “HH/PSYC3140 Q - Abnormal Psychology (Winter 2012-2013)”. You will then be logged into the psyc3140Q course website. How to reach your instructor or teaching assistant The method for contacting teaching assistants to ask questions about the textbook material is to post your questions on the public forum on the course website. When posting questions regarding textbook material, please be specific and provide page numbers. The TAs will be able to provide better answers if you are specific with your questions. This is a public forum for students to post questions and obtain answers from teaching assistants regarding class material. Your posted questions will be answered within a 24-hour period. The best method to contact the instructor is via email ([email protected]). Please limit the content of these emails to personal issues (e.g., indicating you will be missing a test due to illness or death in family, requests to use alternate exam centre, etc.) or Page 1 of 5 administrative issues (e.g., not enrolled in course, difficulty logging onto course website, etc.). Prerequisites: Psyc 1010 6.0 with a minimum grade of C. Required text: Barlow, D.H., Durand, V.M., & Stewart, S.H. (2012). Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach, 3rd Canadian edition. Toronto: Nelson. COURSE FORMAT AND EVALUATION This correspondence course will consist of three non-cumulative tests based solely on textbook readings. Evaluation: 1) Test 1: Sunday, February 10, 6 to 8:50pm, location TBA 30% 2) Test 2: Sunday, March 17, 6 to 8:50pm, location TBA 35% 3) Test 3: TBA, during exam period: April 10 to April 26, 2013 35% The above course requirements and weights are final and will not be adjusted. Final marks are final and will not be adjusted in order to “boost” students into the next letter grade. TESTS Both tests will have a similar format, consisting of multiple choice, short answer (e.g., fill in the blank), and short essay (i.e., 2 to 3 paragraph answers) questions. Tests will be comprised of 60 to 70 multiple-choice questions, 10 to 15 short answer, and 2 to 3 short essay questions, which will be based solely on assigned textbook readings. Students will be given 170 minutes to complete tests. Some sample multiple-choice questions will be posted on the course website before Test 1 only, 1 week before Test 1. As there is no lecture component, it is easy to get behind in this course. It is imperative that all students keep up with course content, and be prepared to write exams on time. Students are required to write all tests on the scheduled dates. Special, makeup test dates will be granted only on religious, medical, or compassionate grounds (e.g., death in the family) with appropriate documentation provided. Please see the “Religious Observance Policy” and/or “Policy for Missed Tests and Examinations” sections for more information regarding protocol and documentation requirements. Tests will not be Page 2 of 5 returned to students. Tests can be viewed by making an appointment with the course director. Cheating will not be tolerated; please see the note on the avoidance of academic offences near the end of this syllabus. Test 1 will be held on Sunday, February 10, 2013 from 6pm to 8:50pm, location to be announced (TBA). SENATE POLICY ON ACADEMIC HONESTY Students are responsible for understanding the nature of and avoiding the occurrence of plagiarism and other academic offenses. Students are urged to read the section on Plagiarism and Academic Dishonesty in the Academic Calendar (www.arts.yorku.ca/honesty/index.html). Note that such offences include plagiarism, cheating on an examination, submitting false or fraudulent assignments or credentials, impersonating a candidate, or submitting for credit in any course without the knowledge and approval of the instructor to whom it was submitted, any academic work for which credit has previously been obtained or is being sought in another course in the University or elsewhere. In writing scholarly papers, you must keep firmly in mind the need to avoid plagiarism. Plagiarism is the unacknowledged borrowing of another writer’s words or ideas. The following rules pertain to the acknowledgments necessary in academic papers: in using another writer’s words, you must both place the words in quotation marks and acknowledge that the words are those of another writer; in adopting another writer’s ideas, you must acknowledge that they are his/hers. If you are in doubt about whether what you are doing is inappropriate, consult your TA. A claim that “you didn’t know it was wrong” will not be accepted as an excuse. Any case of suspected academic dishonesty will be dealt with in accord with the procedures and regulations set dow
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit