4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3140
Professor
Jennifer Lewin
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Abnormal Lecture 3
Behaviour therapy - systematic application of learning principles and techniques to assess and
improve individuals behaviours to improve functioning
Some interventions:
Positive reinforcement
Role play
Systematic desensitization - make people learn how to be completely relaxed then when
the fear is imagined during a relaxed state - you’re not going to be as scared of the fear
Token economy and shaping - used on those in inpatient wards
Social skills training
To change a behaviour:
Functional Assessment - ABC Model - usually done on kids
Antecedents: the cues or triggers that elicit behaviour
Behaviour: the problem behaviour
Consequences: events that maintain behaviour - increasing or decreasing it
Senario from Lecture slides:
Antecedents: boredom, notifications, wifi availability, attendance requirement
Behaviour: using the internet in class
Consequences : no punishment for using it, makes people stay connected with others online,
prof doesn’t do anything
Solution? - prof makes the class more interesting, block wifi access, participation is worth marks
so people will use it less and be more involved, make group tasks to make students interact
rather than sit there, have short breaks to make students refreshed
Cognitive Paradigm
Theory of Psychopathology - dysfunctional cognitive set is responsible for the development of
the disorder
Ex: Depression caused by this dysfunctional cognitive set of hopelessness
3 factors:
How you view yourself - i am hopeless
How you view the world - the world is a cruel place
How you view the future- future looks dull
- These views define your cognitions
- Need to be able to change these cognitions to prevent disorder

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Abnormal Lecture 3 Behaviour therapy - systematic application of learning principles and techniques to assess and improve individuals behaviours to improve functioning Some interventions: Positive reinforcement Role play Systematic desensitization - make people learn how to be completely relaxed then when the fear is imagined during a relaxed state - youre not going to be as scared of the fear Token economy and shaping - used on those in inpatient wards Social skills training To change a behaviour: Functional Assessment - ABC Model - usually done on kids Antecedents: the cues or triggers that elicit behaviour Behaviour: the problem behaviour Consequences: events that maintain behaviour - increasing or decreasing it Senario from Lecture slides: Antecedents: boredom, notifications, wifi availability, attendance requirement Behaviour: using the internet in class Consequences : no punishment for using it, makes people stay connected with others online, prof doesnt do anything Solution? - prof makes the class more interesting, block wifi access, participation is worth marks so people will use it less and be more involved, make group tasks to make students interact rather than sit there, have short breaks to make students refreshed Cognitive Paradigm Theory of Psychopathology - dysfunctional cognitive set is responsible for the development of the disorder Ex: Depression caused by this dysfunctional cognitive set of hopelessness 3 factors: How you view yourself - i am hopeless How you view the world - the world is a cruel place How you view the future- future looks dull - These views define your cognitions - Need to be able to change these cognitions to prevent disorder
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit