PSYC 3170 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Chronic Condition, South Dakota Highway 10, Suicidal Ideation

23 views6 pages

Document Summary

Ongoing condition that has an impact on daily living. Health psychologists interested in chronic illness because it can be managed (thus can benefit most from health psych) Umbrella term that talks about a number of conditions. Sometimes tied to disease, other times tied to injury (i. e. chronic back pain) 60% of canadians living with chronic illness. Most money spent in healthcare system is dedicated to treatment of chronic disease (2/3"s of 4449$) Chronic disease impacts individual, family and society. *qol is a good measure of how disease impacts functioning. Measures how any treatments that someone is going through can impact qol. Subjective appraisal, can change over time(even day to day) Focus on medical aspects( i. e. length of survival, presence of disease) Limitations on physical functioning (exercise, walk uptown stairs etc) Assess quality of social relationships/functioning (are people able to maintain relationships) Presence of symptoms (i. e. pain) and how those place limitations in a person"s life.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers