Ch 3. Diagnosis & Classification.pdf

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3230
Professor
James Alcock

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
A diagnosis is an identification of a condition or disease state
This is a medical notion that may or may not apply to psychological problems
Need a diagnostic system-- a collection of rules for guiding us in our determination of a diagnosis
What does it mean to "diagnose"?
A "cold" is different from pneumonia in that…
[In psychiatry, a diagnosis is solely descriptive]
What is diagnosis?
Need descriptors that allow different clinicians to recognize the same disorder (reliability)
Need descriptors such that if present, they indicate the presence of a disorder, and if absent, the disorder is absent (validity)
What do we want in a diagnostic system?
Is it enough for someone to say "I am depressed?"
Does the person have to cry a lot or talk of suicide?
[Not all depressed people present with the same symptoms, there isn't one symptom that is necessary or sufficient]
Is loss of appetite a symptom, or poor sleep?
How do you know if someone is depressed?
To answer such questions, someone must first define what depression is
Yet, that is not so easy
Hippocrates: beginnings of a diagnostic system
First comprehensive diagnostic system based on which characteristics occur together
Kraeplin (19th century)
Recall:
Extended "International List of the Causes of Death" to include psychological abnormalities
The list was renamed the International Statistical Classification of Diseases, Injuries, and Causes of Death (ICD)
Current: ICD-10
1948: World Health Organization
Poorly defined
Heavily psychoanalytic-- manuals focused on unobservable internal states
Not based in empirical research
Did not involve objective criteria
Diagnostic categories were:
Consequently, it was not very useful, and different clinicians would come up with different diagnoses for the same person
1952-- American Psychiatric Association published its own diagnostic system, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
Suffered from many of the same problems as the original DSM
1968: DSM-II
Multi-axial classification-- rather than using a single label, client described in terms of a number of clinically important factors, or axes
Focus on descriptive features that allow identification of the problem rather than interpretation based on unvalidated theories
Provided detailed criterion sets for each disorder, to allow various clinicians to diagnose in a similar way
Attempted to be atheoretical; eliminated theory-laden terms such as "neurosis" (psychoanalytic)
Radically different from DSM-II
1980: DSM-III
1987: DSM-III-R-- a minor revision
Evaluated more than 6000 subjects, using hundreds of clinicians, looking at reliability and validity
Development team searched for an empirical basis for each disorder, and carried out extensive field trials using the classification system
Developers took more international approach; Cooperated with the developers of ICD-10 which is widely used around the world outside of North America
1994: DSM-IV-- major revision, still using the multiaxial approach
Translated into French as well
2000: DSM-IV-TR-- relatively minor changes to text
Quite different from diagnosis in physical medicine
In physical medicine, data not available from the patient is gathered by tests-- blood tests, x-rays, etc.
Medical diagnoses adds new information about the disorder-- causation, course, treatment, etc.
[Psychological tests are descriptive and do not add new information, this is a huge misconception in psychology]
For both the DSM and ICD (which will be discussed later), diagnoses are defined purely in terms of symptoms
Yet, DSM provides some consistency so that when terms such as depression or anxiety are used, people are describing more or less the same problems
Excluding simple deviance from societal norms
Excluding expected or culturally sanctioned responses-- as to the death of a loved one
"A clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress (e.g., a painful symptom) or
disability (e.g., impairment in one or more important areas of functioning) or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability or an important loss of
freedom." (DSM-IV p. xxi)
In DSM-IV, each mental disorder is conceptualized as:
Because of the continuum between normal and abnormal functioning, often only need to fill a subset of conditions to warrant the diagnosis
Aim is to describe accurately the various disorders rather than interpret them
In DSM-IV, NOT assumed that all categories are mutually exclusive, that there is no overlap
Diagnosis
Disorders usually first diagnoses in infancy, childhood, and adolescence
Delirium, dementia, amnesic, and other cognitive disorders
Substance-related disorders
Axis I-- Clinical Syndromes
Major Axes in DSM-IV
3. Diagnosis & Classification
Monday, January 21, 2013
9:00 AM
Lecture Notes Page 1

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
3. Diagnosis & Classification Monday, January 21, 2013 9:00 AM What is diagnosis? • What does it mean to "diagnose"? ○ A diagnosis is an identification of a condition or disease state ○ This is a medical notion that may or may not apply to psychological problems ○ Need a diagnostic system-- a collection of rules for guiding us in our determination of a diagnosis • [In psychiatry, a diagnosis is solely descriptive]  A "cold" is different from pneumonia in that…  Depression is different from anxiety What do we want in a diagnostic system? • Need descriptors that allow different clinicians to recognize the same disorder (reliability) • Need descriptors such that if present, they indicate the presence of a disorder, and if absent, the disorder is absent (validity) Diagnosis • Yet, that is not so easy ○ How do you know if someone is depressed?  Is it enough for someone to say "I am depressed?"  Does the person have to cry a lot or talk of suicide?  [Not all depressed people present with the same symptoms, there isn't one symptom that is necessary or sufficient]  Is loss of appetite a symptom, or poor sleep? ○ To answer such questions, someone must first define what depression is • Recall: ○ Hippocrates: beginnings of a diagnostic system ○ Kraeplin (19th century)  First comprehensive diagnostic system based on which characteristics occur together • 1948: World Health Organization ○ Extended "International List of the Causes of Death" to include psychological abnormalities ○ The list was renamed the International Statistical Classification of Diseases, Injuries, and Causes of Death (ICD) ○ Current: ICD-10 • 1952-- American Psychiatric Association published its own diagnostic system, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) ○ Diagnostic categories were:  Poorly defined  Heavily psychoanalytic-- manuals focused on unobservable internal states  Not based in empirical research  Did not involve objective criteria ○ Consequently, it was not very useful, and different clinicians would come up with different diagnoses for the same person • 1968: DSM-II ○ Suffered from many of the same problems as the original DSM • 1980: DSM-III ○ Radically different from DSM-II  Multi-axial classification-- rather than using a single label, client described in terms of a number of clinically important factors, or axes  Focus on descriptive features that allow identification of the problem rather than interpretation based on unvalidated theories  Provided detailed criterion sets for each disorder, to allow various clinicians to diagnose in a similar way  Attempted to be atheoretical; eliminated theory-laden terms such as "neurosis" (psychoanalytic) • 1987: DSM-III-R-- a minor revision • 1994: DSM-IV-- major revision, still using the multiaxial approach ○ Development team searched for an empirical basis for each disorder, and carried out extensive field trials using the classification system  Evaluated more than 6000 subjects, using hundreds of clinicians, looking at reliability and validity ○ Developers took more international approach; Cooperated with the developers of ICD-10 which is widely used around the world outside of North America • 2000: DSM-IV-TR-- relatively minor changes to text ○ Translated into French as well • For both the DSM and ICD (which will be discussed later), diagnoses are defined purely in terms of symptoms ○ Quite different from diagnosis in physical medicine ○ In physical medicine, data not available from the patient is gathered by tests-- blood tests, x-rays, etc. ○ Medical diagnoses adds new information about the disorder-- causation, course, treatment, etc. ○ [Psychological tests are descriptive and do not add new information, this is a huge misconception in psychology] • Yet, DSM provides some consistency so that when terms such as depression or anxiety are used, people are describing more or less the same problems • In DSM-IV, each mental disorder is conceptualized as: ○ "A clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress (e.g., a painful symptom) or disability (e.g., impairment in one or more important areas of functioning) or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability or an important loss of freedom." (DSM-IV p. xxi)  Excluding simple deviance from societal norms  Excluding expected or culturally sanctioned responses-- as to the death of a loved one • In DSM-IV, NOT assumed that all categories are mutually exclusive, that there is no overlap ○ Because of the continuum between normal and abnormal functioning, often only need to fill a subset of conditions to warrant the diagnosis ○ Aim is to describe accurately the various disorders rather than interpret them Major Axes in DSM-IV • A
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit