PSYC 3240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Agent Detection, Confirmation Bias, Metacognition

61 views5 pages

Document Summary

We constantly, automatically, look for the causes of events. We can see the connections: others are imperceptibles. People often assume they understand something if they have a label for it, but a label by itself leads to circular reasoning, explaining nothing. Our brains are set up to make supernatural belief almost automatic: we are born as magical thinkers. We learn by associating events that occur closely together in time: we distinguish between animate and inanimate early in life, we develop theory of mind (tom). Growing child gradually comes to believe that other animate beings have internal mental processes similar to his or her own. Theory of mind leads to mind-body dualism: tom leads to agency detection. By a year old, child actively looks for causes. Patterns someone must have caused them. Hyperactive agency detection device: automatic tendency of brain to detect and respond to danger look for the agent: (cid:862)p(cid:396)o(cid:373)is(cid:272)uous(cid:863) teleologi(cid:272)al i(cid:374)tuitio(cid:374). Child(cid:396)e(cid:374) i(cid:374)(cid:374)atel(cid:455) p(cid:396)o(cid:374)e to (cid:862)p(cid:396)o(cid:373)is(cid:272)uous(cid:863) teleologi(cid:272)al i(cid:374)tuitio(cid:374)s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers