PSYC 3280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Social Grooming, Inclusive Fitness, Kin Selection

80 views5 pages

Document Summary

Kin selection: the idea of inclusive fitness explains how we might see helping and cooperative behavior between relatives. The idea of inclusive fitness which is the direct fitness the idea number of surivival offspring the animal have. Indirect fitness: which is the how many close relatives the animal have. The idea if i(cid:374)clusi(cid:448)e fit(cid:374)ess (cid:449)hich is helpi(cid:374)g your relati(cid:448)es i(cid:374)creasi(cid:374)g the cha(cid:374)ces of a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s survival. Inclusive fitness- total fitness based on the number of its own offspring and the contribution it makes to the reproductive success of its genetic relatives relatedness and inclusive fitness . Cooperation: work together and benefits, each individual benefits from joint action. Social grooming example (allogrooming, grooming with each other---> (peek through their back, armpits, eyes and ears . removing parasites from each other ) in primates. One path to cooperate reciprocity: called reciprocal altruism ----> paying back to another animal by helping each other out.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers