PSYC 3430 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Ingroups And Outgroups, Ostracism, Mark Leary

29 views5 pages

Document Summary

The master problem of social life: what is the connection bt. the individual and society, including groups, organizations and communities. 3 essential processes that combine to transform the lone individual into a group member: inclusion, collectivism, and identity. Through inclusion, the individual changed from an outsider into an insider by joining a group. Through collectivism, group members begin to think about the good of the group as a whole rather than what the group provides them. Through the transformation of identity, individuals change their conception of who they are to include thei(cid:396) g(cid:396)oup"s (cid:395)ualities as (cid:449)ell as thei(cid:396) o(cid:449)(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual qualities. Me(cid:374)tal ps(cid:455)(cid:272)hologi(cid:272)al p(cid:396)o(cid:272)esses that d(cid:396)i(cid:448)e hu(cid:373)a(cid:374)s" a(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s is a (cid:374)eed to (cid:271)elo(cid:374)g. They likened the need to belong to other basic needs such as hunger or thirst. A person who has little contact with other people will feel unhappy and lonely. Need to belong: the dispositional tendency to seek out and join with other humans.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers