Class Notes (1,100,000)
CA (650,000)
York (40,000)
PSYC (5,000)
PSYC 3430 (100)
Lecture 3

PSYC 3430 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, American Psychological Association, Apa Style

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3430
Professor
Peter K Papadogiannis
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Research Assignment Handout
Due: November 27, 2017
Worth: 30% of the final grade - Submitted in Class – No email copies (electronic copies will
also be submitted through turnitin.com)
There will be a 1% deduction (from your overall mark out of 30%) for each day that the
document is handed in after the deadline.
General Purpose of Project:
ο‚·To provide a critical examination of human behaviour by reflecting on personal experiences
and linking them to theory and research.
ο‚·To provide experiential learning opportunities about behaviour in groups.
In this essay, you will reflect upon and discuss the nature of your changing experience as a
member of your small in-class experimental group. You will also be asked to reference your
experience with pertinent theories and research to account for your experience. The essay will be
no more than 10 double spaced typed pages (12 point font, 1 inch margins) excluding the title
page and references. The paper must be in APA style; consult the Publication Manual of the
American Psychological Association (APA, 2009). You must have at least 10 scholarly, peer
review text (a minimum of 5 must be current journal articles – the 2007+ - e.g., Group Dynamics:
Theory, Research, and Practice; Group Processes & Intergroup Relations; Small Group Research)
For 2 of the 3 sections below (i.e., Sections I-III), the student must answer 3 of the 5 proposed
subcategories (3 X 5 = 15 marks per section X 2 sections). The research assignment is marked
out of 35 total marks and is worth 30% of your total grade.
I. Group Formation and Structure (15 marks)
* Norm development
* Group development – i.e., growth and change of the group over time
* Social support – i.e., types of support
* Group communication networks
*Collaboration between group members
II. Conflict (15 marks)
* Sources of conflict
* Managing conflict
* Social dilemmas – self-serving vs. group interest
* Competition & conflict
* Gender differences in dealing and resolving conflict
III. Leadership (15 marks)