York University (33,539)
Psychology (4,070)
PSYC 3430 (115)

9 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 3430
Peter Papadogiannis

Chapter 4 • Groups form through a combination of personal, situational, and interpersonal processes • Formation depends on the members themselves  Some people are more likely to join together and when they do a group is born • Groups also come into existence when the press of environmental circumstances pushes people together rather than keeping them apart. • They also spring up when people discover that they like one another.  This attraction provides the foundation for development of interpersonal bonds Personality Big Five Theory - Outlines individual differences in personality o Openness to experience  Intellectually able  Appreciative of art and beauty  Emotionally expressive  Open minded  Imaginative o Conscientiousness  Responsible  Organized  Achievement orientated  Self disciplined  Planned confident o Extraversion  Outgoing  Friendly  Gregarious  Assertive  Emotionally positive  Active o Agreeableness  Sincere  Thinks the best of people  Frank  Concerned with others’ welfare  Modest  Sympathetic o Neuroticism  Emotional  Anxious  Easily angered  Self conscious  Prone to feel depressed or sad  Impulsive  Distressed Relationality - The degree to which one’s values, attitudes and outlooks emphasize and facilitate establishing and maintaining, connections to others. o People who are higher in relationality are more likely to play team sports and do so because they prefer to exercise with people rather than alone o Associated with both extraversion and agreeableness of the big five o Connectors  So high in relationality that they have far more ties to other people than most people Men, Women and Groups o Women:  Are more relational then men  Tend to be somewhat more extraverted than men, especially when concerned with interpersonal warmth and gregariousness  Remember more details about their relationships  More accurately recount events that occurred in their social networks  Report relationships are more important to them  More likely to show themselves with others rather than alone  Adopt a more collectivistic, interdependent orientation than men  Seek membership in smaller, informal, intimate groups o Men:  Belong to more professional groups, governing boards, political parties and military organizations  Spend less time in their groups than women do  Seek membership in larger, more formal, task focused groups Social Motivation Motivations  psychological processes that energize actions and guide group members in on direction rather than another o Habits, beliefs, feelings, wants, instincts, compulsions, drives o Prompt people to take action o Social motivations influence people’s interpersonal behaviours and include the need for affiliation, intimacy and power Need for Affiliation o The tendency to seek out others o People with a high need for affiliation tend to:  Join groups more frequently, spend more time in groups, communicate more with other group members and accept other group members more readily  They also tend to be more anxious in social situation because of fear of rejection by others Need for Intimacy o The tendency to seek warm, positive relationships with others o More likely to express caring and concern for other people o They do not fear rejection – more focused on friendship, camaraderie, reciprocity and mutual help Need for Power o The tendency to seek control over others o Those with a high power motive tend to take part in relatively fewer dyadic interactions but in more large group interactions (4+ members) o Organize and initiate activities in groups, assume responsibility and attempt to persuade others Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation  FIRO - A theory of group formation and development proposed by William SCHUTZ that emphasizes compatibility among three basic social motives:  Inclusion  need for affiliation • The desire to be part of a group and to be accepted by a group • Need to be accepted for others  Control  need for power • The need to dominate others and also to let others be dominant  Affection  need for intimacy • Openness • The desire to experience warm, positive relations with others • Desire to like others as well as a desire to be liked by them - Schutz believed that these needs influence group behaviour in two ways:  They determine how people treat others  They determine how people want others to treat them - The FIRO-B (behaviour)scale which Schutz developed, measures both the need to express and the need to receive inclusion, control and affection o Expressed and wanted  High, moderate and low  The more discrepancy between expressed and wanted, more dissatisfaction o Inclusion  Expressed  I try to be with other people  Wanted  I like people to invite me to things o Control  Expressed  I try to take charge of things when I am with people  Wanted  I let other people decide what to do o Affection  Expressed  I try to be friendly to people  Wanted  I like people to act friendly toward me Anxiety and Attachment - Some personal qualities may push people away from groups - Shy, socially inhibited - Shy people’s brains display heightened bilateral activity in the amygdale when they see unfamiliar faces  responsible for emotional responses including fear Social Anxiety - A feeling of apprehension and embarrassment experienced when anticipating or actually interacting with other people - Sets in when people want to make a good impression but they do not think that their attempts to establish relationships will succeed - Feel tense, awkward, uncomfortable, scrutinized - Causes them to disaffiliate  reduce social contact with others Attachment Style - One’s characteristic approach to relationships with other people; the basic styles include secure, preoccupied, fearful and dismissing, as defined by the dimensions of anxiety and avoidance o Defined by two dimensions  Level of anxiety  Degree of avoidance - Attachment Theory explains the way people differ in their relationships or attachments to others - Anxious Group Attachment  spend less time in their groups, engage in fewer collective activities and are less satisfied with the level of support they received from the group - Avoidant Group Attachment  Group is less important to them and they were more likely to claim that they were planning to leave the group. Experience and Preference - People’s prior experiences in groups may make them think twice before joining a group - Those with little experience may be too uncertain to take part and those with negative
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3430

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.