Psychology
Course
PSYC 3430
Professor
Peter Papadogiannis
Semester
Fall

Description
Studying Groups Chapter 2 What Are the Critical Requirements of a Scientific Study of Groups? 1) Theories that organize knowledge of groups 2) Research procedures to test hypotheses about groups – e.g., Kurt Lewin believed that the creation of a empirically verifiable theory was the essence of group science 3) Reliable and valid measurement  Assessment & Measurement  “Anything that exists, exists in some quantity can therefore be measured.”  Lord W. T. Kelvin (1824-1907)  Any measure, to be scientifically useful, must have reliability and validity. Self-Report Methods  Self-report measures: group members describe their perceptions and experiences  Examples: Personality Emotions & Emotional Intelligence Group Assessments Organizational Climate Personality : Mackinnon (1959)  Personality refers to “factors” inside people that explain their behavior  The sum total of typical ways of acting, thinking, and feeling that makes a person unique.  Two Main Personality Theories  1. Trait theory: people differ based on stable attributes (called “traits”)  characteristics lie on a continuum  e.g., the Big Five  2. Type theory: people can be sorted into categories (either one type or the other)  There are many different personality inventories that measure traits or types The Big Five  OCEAN  Openness to Experience  Conscientiousness  Extraversion  Agreeableness  Neuroticism  e.g. – NEO, CPI, 16PF The NEO  Example Neuroticism facet: Anxiety  I am not a worrier.  I am easily frightened.  I rarely feel fearful or anxious.  I often feel tense and jittery.  I am seldom apprehensive about the future.  I often worry about things that might go wrong.  I have fewer fears than most people.  Frightening thoughts sometimes come into my head. The Big Five  Meta-analysis shows that Consciousness, Agreeableness, & Emotional Stability are positively related to performance in jobs involving interpersonal relationships  Extraverts, who are assertive, enthusiastic, and sociable are good candidates for team based activities (Barrick, Mount, & Judge, 2001)  Judge, Bono, Ilies, & Gerhart (2002) - used the five-factor model and meta-analyzed 222 correlations from 73 samples. Overall, the correlations with leadership were Neuroticism = -.24, Extraversion = .31, Openness to Experience = .24, Agreeableness = .08, and Conscientiousness = .28. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator  Myers-Briggs: based on Jungian theory of personality  Classifies individuals along 4 theoretically independent dimensions or types. MBTI Scales  Extroversion-Introversion Scale  E: Oriented primarily toward the outer world; focus on people and objects  I: Oriented primarily toward the inner world; focus on concepts and ideas Sensing-Intuition Scale S: Individual reports observable facts through one or more of the five senses N: Reports meanings, relationships and/or possibilities that have been worked out beyond the reach of the conscious mind MBTI Scales  Thinking-Feeling Scale  T: Judgment is impersonally based on logical consequences   F: Judgment is primarily based on personal or social values Perception-Judging Scale P: Preference for using a perceptive process for dealing with the outer world J: Preference for using a judgment process for dealing with the outer world MBTI  MBTI was first used in 1974 to enhance team effectiveness (Myers et al., 1998)  Team performance is facilitated by the diversity of personality types (Dilworth & Richter, 1995)  As one moves up the corporate ladder the MBTI is predictive of Leadership – Intuition/Thinking, Sensing/Thinking (Gardiner & Martinko, 1996) Emotions  Is a positive or negative experience generally in reaction to stimuli that are accompanied by physiological arousal and characteristic behavior (happiness, sadness, fear, surprise, anger, disgust)  Experiences giving color, meaning, and intensity to life  Darwin – inherent through natural selection (adaptation to survive and desire to reproduce)  Approach vs. Avoidance  To escape life threatening experiences  Help us to deal with important events Emotions are evolved signals about relationships (and, hence, universal) Basic Emotions what do we know about emotions?  Subjective experience  Emotions are universal  Emotional experiences gives us colour, meaning, and intensity to life  Different emotions are marked by different changes in heart rate, skin temperature, blood flow, & sweating  We are able to interpret emotional information  Some people are better at it than others  It’s trainable  It helps us with decision making Feeling – subjective representation of emotions Affect - refers to pattern of observable behaviours associated with emotions (e.g. facial expression, voice pitch). Mood - refers to a pervasive and sustained emotional response that can influence a person’s perception of the world (e.g. depressed mood) – more diffuse than an emotion Role of Learning and Culture in Emotions  Paul Ekman – University of Californ
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3430

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit