March 20 – essays & study questions
April 3 – exam
4. Voisey Bay was discovered in 1993
• In 1997, $1.70 a pound for nickel. Prices go higher [Inkas]
• 1999 they refused to continue the project as it was harmful to their homelands. $3.30 a
pound, nickel price recovers
• 2004 an agreement is made for job guarantees, consultations on environmental impacts
• 2005 production starts at Voisey Bay, 2006 Valet Inko purchased Inko, $9.48/16 sky
• $4.80/lb in 2010, 2011 Valet Inko started the construction of a smaller, guaranteeing
jobs, still not complete building
• The topic of the environment and threat to environment started in 1962 with the start of
mercury leaks and indigenous people.
• 1972: UN holds first ever conference on the human environment – here they realised
there is a real present threat to the global environment
• 1980s: hole in the ozone layers, India, Alaska, nuclear disaster in the soviet union,
warmest summers on record, scientists are talking about global warming, climate
• 1987: UN establishes World Commission on Environment and Development
• Our common future is a report that contains “sustainable development”
• Late 1980s: this competition seems to end in the capitalist world
• 1945-1990: competition for the developing world, communist model, capitalist model,
free world market like the US
• Threats to the global environment 1) loss of habitat. Deforestation, desertification, urban
sprawl. 2) increase in toxification of our air and water, & land. At alarming rates. 3) The
burning of fossil fuels and the impact of the burning of fossil fuels on the global
atmosphere. 4) Overpopulation.
• We are greedy creatures according to Thomas Hobbes, never enough
• Developing worlds approach a capitalist approach compared to other economies • People must adjust to the names of sustainable development, increasing costs to make
up for loss of jobs, jobs dislocation, increased taxes
• 1988 the reports states we are prepared to pay for our damages.
• In 2008, the economy was in a rough shape globally.
• There has been an increasing opposition to sustainable development mounted by the
ideological right and the belief that science and technology will eventually will save us
from ourselves, etc.
• Stefan Dion became the leader of the liberal party and became bolder.
• Sustainable development: development that meets the needs of the present without
compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
• The report insists on the need to integrate our conceptions of environment and economy.
• The commission insists on the essential harmony of nature and people, nature is friendly
• In the liberal ideology, nature is not friendly, it is hostility, it is something to be subdued
• The commission stresses equity between and in-between generations. “The world is not
inherited from our parents, it is borrowed from our grandchildren”
• Bruntwood believes we have private gain in exchange for public expense.
• Environmentalism has grown phenom