SOSC Lecture #3
October 3 2013
• Ideology and History
• 3. The Left/Right Ideological Spectrum
• French Revolution.
• People who sat on the left -> revolutionary to be.
• Right -> support of the monarchy.
• Ideological right -> believes that which govern less governs best
• Tea party ex/
• Govt should govern less, should not interfere in others jobs/lives
• Little taxation
• On left -> Legit for govt to tax a lot, create laws to protect environment
• Govt intervention under certain circumstances is fine
• Classical liberalism replaced classical conservatives
• CL has never won the debate to counter ideologist
• After WW2, Classic liberalism becomes the right idea
• 4. The Liberal Debate
• Debate -> classic liberals vs reformed liberals
• Difference in 4 types of things
• 1) Personal Freedom
• 2) Limited Government
• 3) Equality of Right
• 4) Consent of the Government
• 1640s English Civil War, execution of Charles the First King of England.
• 1688, Glorious Revolution. 50 Years of civil unrest. Parliament over monarchy. England
becomes constition monarchy
• American Revolution,
• 1789, French revolution. Counter ideology is about to become THE ideology.
• Classic Liberals, government must be restrained to allow individuals to go on with their
• Classical Liberalism
• Personal freedom: negative liberty.
• Limited Government: There must be real constraint placed upon government.
• 1) Legit for gvt to provide armed forces.
• 2) Legit for govt to provide a police force, protection from each other.
• 3) Legit for govt to provide a series of courts, to administer and uphold laws.
• Some argue that there should be a 4 thing that the govt should provide
• Equality of Right: Life is a competitive game, and rules should be the same for all the
players, citizens. The rule is equality of right.
• Consent of the Government: Government must have consent of the citizens, citizens
who own property. • Government requires those citizens consent to make things happen
• Reformed Liberalism
• Personal Freedom: Citizens should be free to develop to their full potential.
• Citizens should have the means to achieve their full potential.
• They disagree on WHO should have that right.
• Equality of Right: You don’t have the money, its not the govts problem. Its the citizens
• Equality of opportunity replaces equality of right.
• A positive right,
• Reformed Liberals, okay with student loans. NOT okay with classical liberals
• Fairness is not enough, concerned out about comes as they are procedures.
• Stella Bliss: 1960, CND govt passed Bill of Rights.
• CNDs thought of cops pulled them over, they got a phone call.... they didn’t....
• Stella Bliss, 1968-69. Canada MAN power center.
• Consent of the Government: WE THE PEOPLE. Male property owners, certain age,
certain background, certain ‘means’.
• State holders are the government.
• Reformed Liberals, keep expanding the WE THE PEOPLE
• They will lead debates about reducing property requirements, allowing working class
men to participate, women, growing categories of people (that were not allowed during
classical liberalism) to participate
• Conservative Revival ?
• Margret Tacher, longest running UK PM.
• Leader of British Conservative party. “No such thing as society, only markets”
• US would be a political liberal place.
• US Tories came to Canada.
• Believe that govt had a legit role to play in economy to look for organic whole of society
• A few years ago, the Conservative that did everything for Canada, Great Progressive
Conservative party closed.
• All the conservatives came together to eliminate the liberals.
• New party is much more like American convervatives (classic American liberals), get
govt out of market.
• Govt regulation, ownership, part of Canadian owner ship
• Now, its illegit. Govt should get out of business world, privatise everything.
• Not to be confused with the OLD conservatives
• Birth of Neo-Conservatives. Okay with classical ideas of what govt should/shouldn’t do in
• “The state has no room in the bedroom of their nation”. Govt should mind their own
• Neo-Conservatives have an issue with it
• Strands of Socialism • 1) Marxist strand
• 2) Non-Marxist strand. Social democracy etc.
• Jesus was a socialist....
• Cooperative Commonwealth Federation. Form the NDP.
• JS Woodsworth, believed Jesus was a socialist. Charged with Treason.
• Riding of Winnipeg North elected a CCF.
• MJ Coldwealth, 2 CCF leader.
• But first CCF lea