Video number 1.Jackson Katz :tough guise
• Crisis in masculinity
• Men wear a masks to hide their masculinity
• They want respect and so violence
• Young men says a real man Physical ,strong ,in control ,powerful ,tough ,
• When emotion is showed you get call a fag ,wass ,bitch ,whimp ,sisi
• Boys learn this attitude from the media ,showing dominance and power.
• Eg .Latino as boxers
• Asian men ,violent artist
• Violence is introduced to young boys at an early age .
• Sports also has violence .Eg .Hockey .and wrestling . You earn respect by
disrespecting another person .
• Sexualization of violence in movies could be one of the reason for sexual
violence among men .
2.Video number 2 ..Anatomy of desire (sexuality )
3.Andrea O'Reilly :mothering and motherhood
The best provider for a child is the biological mother .
In advertisementsA good mother is portrayed as :
- can't be too old or too young (28-32 yrs )
-white ,middle class
"Motherhood is not natural "
- it is culturally determined ( society determines what women should do as
- the term motherhood is reinvented ( a good mother in the 1960s will be
different a good mother in 2014) ( has been reinvented 4 times in history ) 1 .In prehistory ( hunting and gathering to agriculture )
(Before industrialization - 1800s)
Motherhood in that era
• They had more important things to do .They were producers .They run the
farms with the husband.The work was unpaid .
• There was not a concept of childhood .Just like the concept of motherhood is
created then the concept came into play .There were no children's clothing or
• Who's minding the children ?The children were economic agents .Helping the
parents on the farm. They needed children to do the work on the farms .
Children today are seen as an economic liability ( they cost money ) .Children
were often raised my other fami