Social Science
Course
SOSC 1009
Professor
Julie Dowsett
Semester
Fall

Description
Descartes- mostly med 3 • The challenge gacendi put for Descartes is give me a method from which I can tell that something is clear and distinct. • His answer is that I have already did that, the question is where did he do that? • The answer is in mediation 1 • Descartes say if you can doubt an Idea or a plain then there is something wrong with it. There is a defect in it. • The conclusion is that any ideas which are acceptable than it must be clear and distinct. • He tells gancendi if something can be doubted than it is not acceptable • Therefore using conversion you make the antecedent to the consequent and antecedent to the consequent and add a telda. • The logic of meditation one is that Descartes points out if something is acceptable it is indubitable • Although truth has one of its feature being indubitable that isn’t all it is, because indubitable is a necessary condition. It’s not the only feature because • I think therefore is am is for Descartes is true, like the I think therefore I am, mathematics is also clear and distinct but Descartes says that mathematics can be doubted when you take in to account that God was trying to deceive me. • If god wants to deceive me he can deceive me with mathematics • When you think a mathematical proposition such as 1+1=2 you cannot doubt it. When you are thinking mathematical you cannot doubt it. When you think about mathematics you bring God in the context therefore you doubt it. (59) • Mathematics is view in two different ways. • In terms of all decartes has to say “ I think therefore I am” is never ever doubted. It has a prilieveged status, not even God an deceive us with respect to “ I think there fore I am “ pg 41 course kit) replies 2. • Although mathematical claims are indoubtablie when you think of them once you introduce the though of God you can easily see the mathematics is true. • Not even God can deceive us of “ I THINK THEREFORE I AM” • In meditation four there must be a proof using “ I think therefore Iam “ that there is something true • Constructed reply to gancende: • 1) Official reply to gacende (213-14 CK) – he tells gancende he answered his concern in med 1 beyond med 1 he is only dealing with clear and distinct ideas. • 2) claim that the denial of clear and distinct ideas are self contradictory is false (princlple 7 page 60) • What is self contradictory is the denial of clear and distinct ideas • What is the denial of I think there for I am? It would I think therefore I do not exist. • Thinking of though and not thinking of evidence is contradictory • 3) Principle 7, decartes is saying finding the denial of I think therefore I am is all you need to prove its true • However in the case of mathematics it is equally true that the denial of a true mathematical propostion is self contradictory. There is the same contradiction in mathematical claim and I think therefore I am. • The knowledge of God I essential to establish the truth of mathematics • 4) med 4 • Decartes claim in the reply to gacendi stage 2 for clear and distinct • Step 1. There is a physiological irresistibility (pg 81) (84) • Step 2. Principle 10 (222) pg 14 med – the thought of though and the thought of existence are separate thoughts • Step 3) A J lyer said that that the claim I think therefore I exist is not self contradictory • Stept 4) there are some sentences that can be shown to be true by reviling that there denial is self contradictory • How to do that? Example • All bachelors are unmarried males • All bachelors are happy •
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1009

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit