Earth Democracy and the Resistance to Globalization
- The Globalization of the planet is not a complete process
and there is resistance to it by certain countries and
resistance groups worldwide.
- Various strategies have been developed to deal with the
many injustices of globalization from local, grassroots
organizing, bartering exchange, food movements, and
new financial institutions such as micro-credit banks like
the Grameen Bank.
- Poor people generally cannot get loans. Grameen bank
lends small amounts of money to poor women so they
can start small businesses, rather than relying on
predatory money lenders who exploited poor people in
need of loans.
- Women given small ($200) loans can now buy supplies to
start a small business and be self sustaining – 97% of the
women who borrow fully repaid their loans.
- “Earth Democracy”: an emergent political movement
for peace, justice, s