The Growing Tensions of Globalization
Globalization has three basic dimensions: political, economic, cultural
- Globalization is about the global spread industrial capitalism.
- Is globalization something new or has it been around for centuries?
- Present-day globalization is about increased polarizations of class and
intensifications in the scale and scope of changes that affect the lives of
people. Who benefits from existing globalization?
- Globalization is often seen as a form of economic freedom
- Globalization isn’t only about ‘over there’ it’s about what we do daily
‘over here’ in terms of eating, shopping, labour issues, environment,
- The 4 world – at least 50% of world’s population is very poor.
- Political: free-trade agreements, corporate rights, concentrations of
economic power in WTO, WB, IMF
- Economic: economic freedoms and limits, the transnational corporation
the globalized worker -new wage prosperity or new wage slavery?
- corporate imperialism?
- Financial capital and Casino capitalism, as opposed to manufacturing
based capital accumulation.
- Cultural: creates both cultural homogenizatio