The Mass Media and the Production of Common Sense
• Mass media played important role in shaping personal perception
• Media instrumental in production of common sense and what common sense is
o Is immigration beneficial?
o Who should immigrate?
o How does immigration affect jobs? Society? Culture?
o Are immigrants a problem?
• Symbols, images, and words are used to convey meaning
• Media allows us to reflect on the power structure in Canada and how the media fit
Social Construction of News and its Social Implications
• News is a manufactured product
• Shaped by selection and interpretation, in turn shaped by economic considerations
• Newspapers provide more than information
o Let us know events locally and globally
o Rely on them for everyday news
o Economic and political information
o Media are windows to the world
o Learn about the world fairly easily and quickly
o Learn about health, family relations, finances, etc.
o Little elaboration, accounts are short (by nature brief), do not give enough
context. Process of selection, only including they see as most important
Gatekeepers, omit certain information
Set the agenda of what is important
Prioritize events and concerns
Important to reflect on omissions
o Interpret events for us
o Points of view are prese