Self, Culture and Society
October 23rd, 2013
“ Ideology opposition to free trade in Canada is really today part of a very small part of the political spectrum, a
very small and extreme part”
Can anyone guess who said this?
▯ Stephen Harper
• Heilbroner Chapter 1: The room of ‘economics’
▯ The economic problem: Tradition; command; the market
▯ Film: the! Kung San: Traditional Life (26 Minutes)
• Polanyi: ‘Rooms’ of economics anthropology, economic historian, political economy among others –
▯ Non-market principles of economic organization: Reciprocity: Redistribution; House-holding
• Heilbroner Chapter 2: ‘The Drive for Capital’
▯ What is Capital?
▯ Introducing Smith and Marx (next lecture)
Introduction to Heilbroner: 21 Century Capitalism:
- Capitalism is the name of the economic system that dominates the world today. It might not just be an
economic system it could be a social system that dominates our political and economic systems.
▯ Will Capitalism continue to dominate the world into the 21 Century?
▯ What would life be life if “capitalism was no longer the organizing principle of economic life?” (pp.5-6)
• “Capitalism is the name of the economic system that dominates the world today’ (P.3)
• With these two chapters
▯ what capitalism is not: How have different types of societies “solved” the economic problem?
▯ What capital/capitalism IS: how does it affect the inner and outer life of a society?
The Economy and Economics:
• What is Economics? What is ‘the economy’?
▯ Another definition, a dominant one is that: economics is the study of scarcity. (How are scarce