Social Science
Course
SOSC 1350
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Harliv Sarina Singh 212 607 289 GENDER & THE LAW : SUMMARIES Week 3: January 23, 2014 Rachel K. Brickner and Christine Straehle, “The Missing Link: Gender, Immigration Policy and the Live-In Caregiver Program in Canada” (K) This article discusses the temporary foreign worker programs introduced by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. In particular, The Live-in Caregiver Program, which is a temporary foreign worker program that allows workers to come to Canada in order to labour as private caregivers for children, the elderly, and disabled individuals. This program allows caregivers to apply for permanent residency after the successful completion of 24 months of full time work. There are a number of scholars, advocacy groups, former caregivers, and other parties that have raised concerns about certain regulations of this program. For example, caregivers under this program have an employer-specific work permit, must live in the homes of the employers, and have no external monitoring of their work environments. Moreover, the Live-in Caregiver Program has been seen as problematic because of the high number of abusive labour situations 1) What surprised you while doing this reading? or What did you not know before? (did it change your thinking in any way? I did not know that the LCP was one of the only successful ways of getting permanent residency in Canada. Canada makes it look like there are many ways of coming here and gaining status when there are only a few. And out of those few only some are successful. 2) How is this reading relevant to your life? It is not really relevant to me or my life but it is interesting to know.Also as a women, I feel that we are constantly associated with care giving or taking care of the house and this is just one more way that the stereotype is carried out. 3) What are some things in this reading that you would like to discuss further in tutorial? (ie something you found interesting or contentious). - if anyone knows anyone that went through this program - How Canada stresses immigration as an important part of its multicultural identity but yet only offers a small window where people can actually immigrate successfully. Lisa Marie Jakubowski, “‘Managi
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1350

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit