Social Science
Course
SOSC 1350
Professor
Julie Dowsett
Semester
Winter

Description
(FINISHING) GENDER, RACE AND IMMIGRATION (PART 2) 4. Film: The Nanny Business (Canada, 2010) • 5000 Filipino nannies are lured to Canada each year believing that they can make their dreams come true in this country. • Since 1990 approx 100000 women have come to Canada as nannies under the national caregiver program. They have to live in Canada for two years as a nanny at which point they can apply for Canadian citizenship. • Edelyn’s story ** • Nannies would work until midnight without overtime pay and no prior notice. • The agencies are conning many of the individuals wanting to partake in the nanny program. • Each year Filipino parents send home millions of dollars for their children. • They are lured to another country under the belief of money • The employers fit the criteria of human trafficking. • 12 hours a day, $1000 a month works out to be approximately $3.70 while the minimum wage here is $10. • The government set up the program in such a way that it facilitates exploitation. • The Canadian government amended parts of the LCP 5. Questions for Consideration Relating to The Nanny Business a. How would a feminist informed by anti-racism critique the federal Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP)? b. How would an feminist informed by anti-racism critique this film? For example, how are the white woman journalist (Susan McClelland) and white male MPP (Mike Colle) represented as helping to “liberate” the Filipino women? What are the problems with this? How is the Filipino women’s activism downplayed? c. Brickner and Straehle discuss several problems faced by caregivers in the LCP (for example, sexual harassment and abuse by employers). What are these problems? Why do you think the film does not address them? Final Note: If you are interested learning more about Filipino domestic workers in Toronto, I highly recommend the film Brown Women, Blond Babies (1992). “CULTURE” AND “MULTICULTURE” [Multiculturalism] reduces the problem of social justice into questions of curry and turban. —Himani Bannerji (1942-present) 1. Official Multiculturalism in Canadian Public Policy and Law a. Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism (1963-1969) i. The government appointed a Royal Commission to study the French-English tensions to figure out solutions. ii. The term multiculturalism came about because of this Royal Commission after they realized they were not a bicultural society rather a multicultural society. iii. They took up the concerns of people of colour not to show concern for them but as a rebuttal for Quebec’s want for sovereignty. b. federal multiculturalism policy (1971) i. For Trudeau, bilingualism was far more important than multiculturalism. c. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982) d. Canadian Multiculturalism Act (Bill C-93, 1988) i. When Mulroney was PM, the fed
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1350

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit