Class Notes (838,386)
Canada (510,872)
York University (35,470)
Social Science (3,019)
SOSC 1350 (235)
Lecture

MARRIAGE, THE FAMILY, AND DIVORCE (PARTS 1 AND 2)

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Social Science
Course
SOSC 1350
Professor
Julie Dowsett
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 18  Wednesday February 12, 2014 MARRIAGE, THE FAMILY, AND DIVORCE (PARTS 1 AND 2) A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people,  promptly announces she never did care for pie. —Tenneva Jordan 1. Marriage and the Family as Socially Constructed  Neoliberalism: Chung article – term is going to be on the exam a. Societal standards for a “good mother” versus a “good father”  i. A lot has changed in regard to marriage in the last 100 years. Marriages  today are very different from marriages 100 years ago. If you are a women  married to a man, you are not considered his property, one can get married  to their own sex. Just because the laws have changed around homosexual  marriage does not mean that the community accepts all the attitudes of  this type of marriage. ii. Mothering and fathering are equal terms. But what is associated with  mothering and fathering is very different. “Good Mother” and “Unfit  mother” common terms to evaluate women who have children. In contrast  a good father is more narrowly associated with a man ability to fill the  role of provider and “unfit father” is a term that we are not usually  accustomed to. Mothering fits to a range of activity. The term fathering is  usually associated with procreation (sperm meets eggs you are done), but  mothering we don’t have these connotations; we have all sorts of  connotations. We expect so much more from mothers.  b. The ideology of (white, middle­class, heterosexual) motherhood th th i. Timeless and universal. It came about in the 18  and 19  century in  Western Europe and it remains with is today. But it is not timeless or  universal; there are many different ideas of what motherhood is across  cultures and countries.  This ideology of motherhood sees that the care of  kids is solely for the mothers. It use to be possible for middle class people  to maintain a middle class lifestyle on one salary, despite that most  families need dual incomes, the ideology of motherhood remains largely  intact. It’s this romanticized  idea of motherhood, only by having a child  can a woman actualize her full potential. Only by having a child can  women realize the ultimate meaning in her life. This ideology has this  image of all loving, kind, gentle, selfless mother and this selflessness that  this mother is suppose to have is seen in the above quote (pie). A woman  who is child free by choice is seen as selfish. However men who do not  want children do not face the same criticism. This ideology of motherhood  is only for heterosexual couples, lesbian parents are not see as “fit”. If  children develop any type of disorder it is always blamed on the mother  and not the father. They are always faulted because if they were working  mothers people would say that the mother did not spend enough time with  the child. Ideology of how poor women has too many children. Article  about the father that gets so much praised. We have such low expectations  of fathers these days. c. Wi. Father walking bride down the aisle and handing her off to the groom,  olden days this meant that the father was handing her daughter (property)  to the husband to now take care of. 2. Early Industrial Capitalism and Marriage/Divorce Law  (Historical Context) a. William Blackstone on coverture i. Totally in husbands right to chastise his wife.  b.The “unity doctrine” in Canadian law  i. We inherited it from Britain, update version of  coverture.  ii. Due a series of movement, women finally got to  own property. iii. Separate Property Regimes: better than being  considered property c. Industrial capitalism made problems with unity  doctrine clear to legislators i. Why did we get rid of unity doctrine? ii. In the 1880’s there was rapid urbanization and  many women and children moved to the city and  the male breadwinners deserted many. They  moved to the city because that is where the jobs  were. Because of these changes (moving from  rural to urban/industrialized economy) more and  more marriages and partnership were breaking  down.  d.Ontario Deserted Wives’ Maintenance Act (1888)  i. Most provinces enacted a legislation that gave a  legal obligation to support their dependents after  separation now it was no longer possible to really  leave you wife and leave them hanging. You had  to support them. After World War 1 you were  compelled to support your children even if you  weren’t married to the women. It was a very  gendered legislation because it was believed hat  women cannot support themselves and that they  still depended on the man.  e. Federal Marriage and Divorce Act (1925) replaced  the Act of 1857 (a British statute) i. Federal governments fist attempt to pass federal  legislation regarding marriage and divorce.  Before it was just up to the province or from  England.  Provinces prior to this had their own  way of dealing with divorce. It really depended  on where you lived on whether or not the divorce  journey would be easy or hard. In some  provinces it was way harder to be granted a  divorce.   f. Act of 1857 i. What this act involved was that there was a  double standard.
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1350

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit