Social Science
Course
SOSC 1430
Professor
Eduardo Canel
Semester
Winter

Description
1. social movements 2. Social development 3. Conclusion What are social movements? - organized collective efforts seeking to change, or resist change in some major aspects of society - movemnts aren’t simply about change, but can still seek to keep the ways as they are; traditions - i.e. tea party is a conservative movement in America 1 feature of movement: - engage in conflictual relations with opponents that they clearly identify (i.e. Egypt was a clear target, or a company) - movemrnts have particular reltation with an issue, but it is conflictal - either target institutional actors (universities, public places), or corporate actors (companies, corporations etc) - movements have a shared identity around a specific goal - movements (either regionally, internationally), are networked/interconnected - membership is based on non-formalities; it is loose what is isn’t - not an individual act; historically, individuals have done important things, but really, they are always a collective action - not all individual activities are movements, even though they maybe apart of a broader movement - i.e. Indian farmer burned himself infront of a crowd against the WTO; individual act apart of a movement, but not a collective thought - movements are not random affairs, disorganized, nor spontaneous - they have particular goals - in terms of issues, they often appeal to concepts of equality, social justice, human rights (last weeks rights) - strategies: ranging from violent – peaceful engagement (roadblocks, sittings, protest, organized lobbying/campaigning) - movements are not single events of single episodes; one eisode of bringing people together is not a movement, it has to be sustained throughout time; needs to be historyical background (identity, origins, strategies against authories, how they got their goals, etc) - movements are diverse: bringing people with various ideas on the issuei.e. environmental social movement and sustainability vs. capitalism - identify an area of common concern around a specific campaign, specific demands - in movements, you will find Social Movement Organizations connected to it (this week is on fur trade movement NGO’s) - what they do - the movements advocate for change - outsiders to the political, established mainstream system, bringing issues outside the system that the system is currently not addressing - typically when movements emerge - social movements raise issues that political parties don’t, when issues are brought by parties, they’re usually watered down - movements may take the streets, don’t work with formal representatives, instead, develop strategies to raise demands that are usually not taken apart by parties - participation + outside issues movement for betterment when/how do movements emerge? - during perceived inequalities ; grievances emerge (voice concerns, collective voicing) - somechanges might act as catalyst for social movements - i.e. change that might pave the way for other movements - theorist, Sidney Taro: “contention is more closely connected to opportunities for collective action than by persisting social or economic factors that people experience “ - the likely hood that the government would implement change is a factor (i.e. Egypt, people living under regime for 30 years, there was a spark of dissatisfaction and increased movements on an issue) - i.e. talking about environment 30 years ago, would put you outside the system, now it is in margins of society - as a
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1430

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit