Amar Wahab (17)

Week 7- Nation and Whiteness.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Social Science
SOSC 1502
Amar Wahab

Week 7: Nation and Whiteness (23/10) Readings: • Frankenberg, Points of Origin, Points of Departure (CK) • McKintosh, White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack (CK) • hooks, Representing Whiteness in the Black Imagination (CK) • Jordan, In the Land of White Supremacy (CK) Moodle Video link: Tim Wise on White Privilege Assignment #1 due at the beginning of lecture (for Tutorials 1-4 & 7-10). Distribution of Assignment #2 (On Whiteness) during lecture. Lecture: • state is authority • nation is identities • state only selects certain identities from the nation and produces those nations as a legitimate identity • state promising invisibilities to certain identities • state doesn't recognize people on all terms • imposes its authority on some identities, but does not impose full force of authority on other identities on the margins • state becomes an apparatus of discipline and punishment • state regulates both spheres - marriage laws (private) and intimacy in the bedroom are governed by state • identity isn't voluntary, it is shaped and conditioned • extended families aren't recognized • marginal vs entitled citizens • ideal vs real • state only overlaps part of nation, not all identities Thinking About Whiteness • Frankenberg: Gender and whiteness – how the lives of white women are raced (prompted by feminist/radical women on colour). - self reflectivity • Hooks: whiteness as terror (critical view from the margins) - life is regulated in the way u see me/constructed to see me. dominant group that makes sense of the other. relations of looking • McIntosh: the everyday racism cultural practices and norms of whiteness that are invisible to those who are white. The“Invisible Knapsack” as a series of privilege rights & entitlements that are NOT earned but conferred and naturalized. power we have inherited bc of bodies we live in • Jordan: rethinking the meaning of “white supremacy” i.e. not only about isolated extremist racism but systemic and everyday effects of whiteness Critiquing Whiteness (Frankenberg) • Why does ‘race’ signify the (non-white) other? • How race is lived: “white people and people of colour live racially structured lives” (Frankenberg, 1) • Race as a “system of differentiation shapes those on whom it bestows privilege as well as those it oppresses.” (Frankenberg, 1). Frankenberg seeks to “assign everyone a place in the relations of racism” (Frankenberg, 6) • no one escapes whiteness as no one escapes race • Whiteness as normative – sets the standards for constructing, judging and ordering difference; • Whiteness as a position of structural advantage (i.e. race privilege); (not universal, comes from history of western Europe and its imprint on the globe—culture, ideology and powers to oppress non white people) [ power relations where one is of advantage] • Whiteness as standpoint – a particular (i.e. not universal) gaze on the white Self and non-white Other ; [ what we see is by history of what we see here….only offers one way of seeing the world/dominant] • What u cant see doesn't mean its invisible • Whiteness as a set of cultural practices that are unmarked/invisible (e.g. what are the stories we (have to) tell ourselves?). A Critical Imagination: Whiteness as Terror (Hooks) • The (White/Normative) Gaze (“looking relations”): Otherness (e.g. blackness) often constructed in the white gaze as terrorist threat (i.e. hypervisibility of ‘difference’) – recall Lorde’s “misrecognition”; - theres a black imagination • In return the invisibility of the white gaze keeps it safe from critical scrutiny (i.e. it remains unnamed); • Making whiteness visible (looking back): Returning the Gaze to situate and name ‘whiteness’ as a particular standpoint i.e. the ‘fact of blackness’ in dominant discourse is a product of the ways in which whiteness constructs difference. • A different standpoint of knowledge: The view from the margins allows the Other to see/know oppression/the oppressor. • is this really a fact or a production from the dominate state • what they recognize to be facts of blackness i actually an illusion that has been restated so many times that we believe it—socially produced and constructed by those of dominance • the panopticon: teacher ta/ is in control and have surveillance. must self police • oppressed experiences and history are another perspective • Whiteness in the black gaze is terrorizing: not a simple reversal of stereotypes but based on the history of experiences of racism, trauma, pain, racialized regulation, inequality. • Counter-memory: hooks compares the ease or difficulty of crossing boundaries: e.g. the official white men who came across the tracks (in the name of civilizing black people) versus hooks’ experiences visiting her grandparents and being profiled at airports as a different knowledge about travel (i.e. “terrorizing force of white supremacy”) • Whiteness as discipline i.e. regulating us into knowing our place (and non-place) in society and therefore the limits of imagining and knowing ourselves. • black perspective is a view never looked at • crossing tracks is about the binary - dominate group reserves power to be dominant and cross tracks and move to privilege without any othering • black as terror is created by white • want to produce innocence and neutrality of white Critiquing Whiteness (Frankenberg) • Liberal discourse of racelessness/colour-blindness: – Whiteness as the universal norm: “White people are just people” (the universal norm), “no culture,” “no colour”; – Myth of Sameness: Masks the dominance of white patriarchy and white masculinity in determining the status quo. – Myth of Individuality: liberal logic of individual merit eclipses race merit. • Responses to critiquing/naming whiteness: anger, disbelief, denial, guilt, recuperation, and terror; • Implications for thinking critically about Canadian multiculturalism? Tutorial Questions: There will be a quiz on October 23 . (Note the remaining two quizzes for this term wiland November 13 .) One of the following three questions will be selected for tquiz:tober 23 1. Drawing on the explanation
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1502

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.