Topic: Childhood and the media
* really know these two articles well.
• "Medi" terra, media is the plural of medium. Means "in the middle"
• A distinction between processand object.
◦ Media is understood as an object and not a process today.
• Media studies is only a sub ﬁeld of communication studies. Communication studies is very
• Communicationunderstandings get mixed up with understandings of transportation
◦ Post 17th century, have a shift from communication to transportation to information.
◦ Three main models: transmission model, cultural model, constructivist model
‣ Transmission model has a sender, a message, and a receiver. In this process,
something always changes (like a broken telephone). Medium of transmission can
change the message too.
‣ Cultural model attempt (by Stewart Hall) to do justice in the process of
communication by devising the terms encodingand decoding.
‣ Encodingallows a messages to be delivered in a manner that cannot be simply
interpreted in a "black and white" manner.
‣ Decodingreceiver will be actively engaged in decoding the message, no longer a passive
‣ Constructivist model goes back to performance theory, informs Stewart Halls model.
• 6 aspects of communication:
• Harold Innis - a scholar at uoft to