Social Construction of “taste”
- Works of Pierre Bourdieu “Distinction” (says our taste is socially constructed)
- Issue of food
Socrates discovered people often could not rationally justify their claims to knowledge, instead
- Confuse definitions
- Give inadequate evidence
- Provided contradictory beliefs as support
- Often relied on those in authority as a source of proof of their claims
He developed a mode of inquiry that focused on the importance of
- Seeking evidence
- Closely examining reasoning/assumptions
- Analyzing basic concepts
- Tracing out implications of what is said vs what is done
Baseline for Critical Sociological Thinking:
- What’s the most fundamental issue/concept?
- From what point of view should I approach this problem?
- Is this a credible source of info?
- Does it make sense for me to as