Thursday, September 19, 2013
Lecture # 1 – The Role of Social Research
SOCI 2030 – Research Methods
- Things are not always as they seem at face value. Being mislead by or misinterpreting
information is quite common. A more in depth look in regards of a subject matter is
- Bias and misinterpretation of data can lead to very skewed numbers. Numbers are rarely
- Conformity is a powerful tool. A person is far more likely to go with the opinion that is
widely accepted by the rest of a group. (more effective by how large the group is and if
they have any authority over the individual).
Wolfer: The Role of Research:
Avenues of Knowledge:
- Tradition (How you have been brought up, what you have heard from others. Ex.
Chicken soup for colds).
- Experience (How you have dealt with similar situations in the past and using that
knowledge you have gained).
- Scientific Knowledge
Uses and Purposes of Social Research:
Answering questions is much needed feedback.
Helps the researcher generate new information and form new hypothesis