Thursday, September 26, 2013
Lecture # 2 – Theory Link
SOCI 2030 – Research Methods
Social Theory & Ideology – Some Differences:
Theory seeks to find the reasons behind the Ideology focuses on obvious reasons
Theories are conditional (Can change based Ideological explanations tend to be fixed
on social conditions, time, space, etc.)
Rigorously tested Avoid tests
Explanations complex and multi-factored Explanations more simplistic-fewer factors
Views more flexible Views more rigid
Mex Weber’s Ideal Type of Bureaucracy:
- Bureaucracy is a continuous organization governed by a system of rules.
- Conduct is governed by detached, impersonal rules.
- There is division of labour in which different offices are assigned different spheres of
- Hierarchical authority relations prevail; that is, lower offices are under control of higher
- Administrative actions, roles, and so on are in writing and maintained in files.
- Individuals do not own and cannot buy or sell their offices.
- Officials receive salaries…..
Theories can be Classifi