SOCI 2070 Lecture Notes - 1995 Chicago Heat Wave, Hans-Georg Gadamer, The Sociological Imagination

66 views19 pages
21 Apr 2014
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The popular perception that we have absolute freedom to make choices conflicts with the fact that our lives are dependant on our membership to social worlds. I can choose, but the range of choices i can make are limited not enough, competition dependent on the others" choices, gatekeepers . Choices available, but i may not know them. *social ordering influences how we experience everyday life. Group membership provides us with knowledge, experiences, and emotions that appear. They are deeply part of the taken for granted upon which we rest our security. Film: 2 days in october participants in events that took place in october. Men taken out of school to join vietnam war. September 25: the rewards and risks of sociological consciousness. Peter berger born in vienna, austria-> march 17, 1929. Received his phd at the new school (nyc) in 1954. Sociology is subversive sociology is conservative the world taken for granted official understandings.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers