Fall 2016

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOCI 3810
Professor
Carmela Murdocca
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Wednesday,October 5th, 2016
Lecture 3 - Discipline and Punish: Foucault
Enlightenment thinking:
Reason became a way of organizing knowledge,
rise of empiricism and science
Universalism- the search for general laws
Progress- the idea that the human condition can be improved
Rise of secularism
Freedom
Move from barbaric to systems that became more rational, more rule bound, more disciplined
Culture of Spectacle: Punishment is effected on the body in public displays of torture, dismemberment
and obliteration
Carceral Culture: Punishment and discipline become internalized and directed to the constitution and,
when necessary rehabilitation of social subjects. He means at it as a culture that the panopticon model of
surveillance has been defused as a principle of social organization.
-Prisons: place where discipline could be instilled
-Didn’t replace Spectacle all together, they exist alongside each other
Panopticon:
The concept of the design allowed an observer to observe all the prisoners without the prisoners being
able to tell if they are being watched/observed. “all seen” round the clock surveillance machine.
Constant supervision Foucault said, and forced discipline broke the will of the criminal and made him
into a docile body.
Model of how society functions.
To maintain order the citizens needs to believe that any person can be surveyed at any time.
Power is specially
Two types of power:
1.Sovereign power: involves obedience to the law of the king or central authority figure
2.Disciplinary Power: Discipline is a mechanism of power which regulated the behaviour of individuals
in the social body. This is done by regulating the organization of space (architecture), of time (timetable),
and peoples activities and behaviour (drills, posture, movements)- It is enforced with the aid of complex
system of surveillance, foucault emphasizes that power is not discipline, rather discipline is simply one
way in which power can be exercised
Disciplinary Society “Aims to produce right thinking, lawful acting, conformist behaving, docile bodies
needed by modernist economies”
Foucaults concept of power:
Power is not a thing but a relation, doesn't reside in one individual, resides in the relation between
individuals lets say, distribution of bodies in space
Power is not repressive but it is productive
Power is not a property of state. Power is not something that is exclusively localized in government and
the state. Rather, power is exercised throughout the social body
Power operates at the most micro levels of social relations. Power is omnipresent at every level of the
social body
The exercise of power is strategic and war-like-
Power-Knolwedge:
Mechanisms of power produce different types of knowledge which collate information on peoples
activities and existence. The knowledge gathered in this way further reinforces exercises of power
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Wednesday,October 5th, 2016 Lecture 3 Discipline and Punish: Foucault Enlightenment thinking: Reason became a way of organizing knowledge, rise of empiricism and science Universalism the search for general laws Progress the idea that the human condition can be improved Rise of secularism Freedom Move from barbaric to systems that became more rational, more rule bound, more disciplined Culture of Spectacle: Punishment is effected on the body in public displays of torture, dismemberment and obliteration Carceral Culture: Punishment and discipline become internalized and directed to the constitution and, when necessary rehabilitation of social subjects. He means at it as a culture that the panopticon model of surveillance has been defused as a principle of social organization. Prisons: place where discipline could be instilled Didnt replace Spectacle all together, they exist alongside each other Panopticon: The concept of the design allowed an observer to observe all the prisoners without the prisoners being able to tell if they are being watchedobserved. all seen round the clock surveillance machine. Constant supervision Foucault said, and forced discipline broke the will of the criminal and made him into a docile body. Model of how society functions. To maintain order the citizens needs to believe that any person can be surveyed at any time.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit