SOSC 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Marilyn Waring
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Lecture 6 November 3, 2009
Economists are unhappy when they have to examine variables that are not easily measured by
something like a price. – Ernest Schusky
Marilyn Waring versus Economic Orthodoxy
- 1975 she was youngest person ever elected in New Zealand’s government.
- Brought about the defeat of her own government
- She influenced how we think about how we measure wealth in capitalist economy.
- Wrote a book called “If women counted”
Documentary about her:
- Feminist economist.
- Her goal is to be understood. If people don’t have the information they can’t act on it.
- Rise in GDP helps community.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version