SOSC 1801 Lecture Notes - Asthma, Deskilling, Class Conflict

74 views17 pages

Document Summary

Evidence that the political, economic and ideological interests of doctors, researchers and industries are being furthered at the expense of public health. Cancer rates increased dramatically since world war ii because: longer lifespans (i. e. , healthcare, aging population (an older population means more diseases like diabetes and arthritis, better detection, unofficial causes of death could be cancer. All cancers (except lung cancer) increased: by 35% from 1950-1991, by 20% from 1973-1991. Approximately 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will get cancer in their lifetime. Environmental focus: many say that most (80-90%) of cancer is caused by exposure carcinogens, not as a result of your genes. I. e. , new chemicals came out of wwii and became widespread and have been shown to cause cancer. Lifestyle focus: cancer is caused by unhealthy lifestyles (i. e. , smoking, lack of exercise, diet, if anything you do causes cancer, therefore the main focus on changing behavior, but healthy individuals also often get cancer.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers