sosc1910 - Lecture 5

2 Pages

Department
Social Science
Course Code
SOSC 1910
Professor
Nadiah Habib

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture # 5: Why Is The Third World Underdeveloped?
Modernization Theory
Theoretically, social scientists and theorists have shifted their focus since WW II. Theories began to develop
on how the underdeveloped countries could attain development: first on the scene, Modernization Theory
The first Phase of development discourse:
1. Post-war restructuring and Bretton Woods
The second Phase of development discourse:
2. and The golden Years 1950-1960s in which some of these theories developed.
MODERNIZATION THEORY
This model was developed by economists, theorists and bureaucrats who were far removed from the “Third
World”. Modernization theory claimed that the reason for the third world’s underdevelopment was internal,
because the third world had not modernized successfully, the modernization theory advanced a theoretical
model based on the experience of the development of Britain, US and Japan (particularly the British Model)
and suggested that these models be applied as a template onto developing countries and advanced that all
societies were alike and followed the same stages.
ALL SOCIETIES ARE ALIKE
SOCIETIES MUST PASS FROM THE “TRADITIONAL STAGE” TO THE “MODERN STAGE”
(MODELED ON STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT TAKEN FROM BRITAIN, USA & JAPAN)
THIS THEORY WAS INFLUENCED BY WALT ROSTOW’S WORK THE TRANSITION FROM
TRADITIONAL TO MODERN SOCIETIES
WHO ARGUED:
THIRD WORLD COULD REPRODUCE THE BRITISH MODEL
DEVELOP POLICIES TO INCREASE CAPITAL ACCUMULATION
& INVESTMENT
FOSTER ENTREPRENEURIAL VALUES IN ITS POPULATION
Here are Walter Rostow’s 5 stages of development
Stage 1 Traditional Society
The economy is dominated by subsistence activity where output is consumed by producers rather than
traded. Any trade is carried out by barter where goods are exchanged directly for other goods. Agriculture is
the most important industry and production is labor intensive using only limited quantities of capital.
Resource allocation is determined by traditional methods of production.
Stage 2 Transitional Stage (the preconditions for takeoff)
Increased specialization generates surpluses for trading. There is an emergence of a transport infrastructure
to support trade. As incomes, savings and investment grow entrepreneurs emerge. External trade also
occurs concentrating on primary products.
Stage 3 Take Off
Industrialization increases, with workers switching from the agricultural sector to the manufacturing sector.
Growth is concentrated in a few regions of the country and in one or two manufacturing industries. The level
of investment reaches over 10% of GNP.
The economic transitions are accompanied by the evolution of new political and social institutions that
support the industrialization. The growth is self-sustaining as investment leads to increasing incomes in turn
generating more savings to finance further investment.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture5 Why Is The Third World UnderdevelopedModernization Theory Theoretically social scientists and theorists have shifted their focus since WW II Theories began to develop on how the underdeveloped countries could attain development first on the scene Modernization Theory The first Phase of development discourse 1Postwar restructuring and Bretton Woods The second Phase of development discourse 2and The golden Years 19501960s in which some of these theories developed MODERNIZATION THEORY This model was developed by economists theorists and bureaucrats who were far removed from the Third WorldModernization theory claimed that the reason for the third worlds underdevelopment was internal because the third world had not modernized successfully the modernization theoryadvanced a theoretical model based on the experience of the development of Britain US and Japan particularly the British Modeland suggested that these models be applied as a template onto developing countries and advanced that allsocieties were alike and followed the same stages ALL SOCIETIES ARE ALIKE SOCIETIES MUST PASS FROM THE TRADITIONAL STAGETO THE MODERN STAGE MODELED ONSTAGES OF DEVELOPMENT TAKEN FROM BRITAIN USAJAPAN THIS THEORY WAS INFLUENCED BY WALT ROSTOWS WORK THE TRANSITION FROM TRADITIONAL TO MODERN SOCIETIESWHO ARGUED THIRD WORLD COULD REPRODUCE THE BRITISH MOD
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit