THEA 1900 Lecture 3: Study Question and responses

3 Pages

Department
Theatre
Course Code
THEA 1900
Professor
Alberto Guevara

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Study Question #1: Explain the ways in which our interpretive lens (defined here as our way of seeing and defining the world based on our cultural, ethnic, age, sexual, gender orientation and so on) may influence the manner we perceive and experience a theatrical event. The answer to this question should reflect all the reading and lecture materials covered in the course and should draw on your own experiences of attending or viewing theatrical performances. Response: - Theatrical event is an artistic form of communication, the ways in which the audiences generate a basic understanding of the messages the artists are trying to convey are largely based on a shared culture. For example, through a mutual level of understanding of a language, shared cultural values, references as well as experiences by the majority. - Jestrovic “Playwright Between Languages” : ESL journey of writing between languages in culture o Playwright’s language never fully mono-linguistic;  It involves different idioms as means of characterization  Counts on the meaning generated through subtext, movements, gestures, and images that come into play through the process of staging. o “The gap between languages often manifests itself as a dilemma between expressive and communicational language”  ie. example of my language barrier with parents as a Canadian born Chinese • Even if I successfully communicated the message, I probably didn’t express it the way I wanted to o “A writer's split between languages, points to the impossibility of producing meaning thorough one, single language and cultural system”; two idioms o Use this language barrier “as an aesthetic means of deautomatizing worn-out expressions and of enriching linguistic conventions with new meaning”  Thus, expressive and communicational functions of language become fulfilled by means of two different idioms in the process of combination and mutual translation. - Representation: o “how a work is written and how it is read” are coloured by “who wrote it.” o Playwright has to think about how his ideas are being represented through language, - Understanding differs from drawing meaning. - The ways in which we interpret these understandings -- the ways in which we draw meaning out of basic comprehension has a lot to do with our personal experiences - For the audience to feel the emotion the artist is putting forth, they must relate to their past experiences as individuals. - Understanding does not equal to relating - Representation: o “representations” and mimics reality; this opens the arena for misrepresentations of reality. o Our acquired personal knowledge of a culture, custom or way can deeply affect how we perceive a theatrical event… a representation untrue to nature often result in a bad experience as the relation is lost. Study Question #2: In the last two decades in Toronto and the rest of Canada minority theatre artists (i.e. Black, Asian and others) have engaged in a “complex process of cultural exchange” (Walcott, in Petropoulos 2006: 107) that have expanded their possibilities for collaboration, experimentation and innovation. Using at least one example from readings and lectures answer the following: What are the artistic and political challenges these artists have faced during these decades? How have they managed to overcome some of these obstacles? Response: Canadian minority theatre artists have long endured artistic and political challenges in which have subsequently fostered unique cross cultural interactions and exchanges through artistic means. - Yoon’s article on Chinese Theatre in Canada o Obstacles second generation Asians in Canada or “Canasians” have faced: parental disapproval, systemic racism + w
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit