coaching, building self-esteem, teamwork, delegating responsibility
- Leadership involves power and relationships. People seeking for deeper meaning
- A model that works better than discredited mechanistic theory which ignores the
wholeness of people
- Makes a difference to us as individuals, to other individuals, organisational outcomes
Keys to success from Stephen Tindall
- Has a philosophy to people and keeps by It.; the idea that everybody is equal-
everybody is the same. He’s a good manager; doesn’t put himself before others.
- The price and marketing is also that, but the service is the key. If there are no people to
buy, obviously the price won’t be the biggest matter.
- If you put people before profits, the profits get better, but people have trouble accepting
that fact. And society often puts people second, hence the hierarchy.
- If you can spark off goodness in the community- obviously it’s heading somewhere good.
- Hard working; but takes breaks away from people, work- having a hobby to balance it all
out. Separates the day. Plans his time carefully.
- Concentrates on connections, within his work, and within his suppliers and contacts.
Leadership can come from anyone, not necessarily people with high status or particular expertise;
it’s best to think leadership is a shared responsibility.
Some people are born leaders; but anyone can lead. It may be easy for someone, and very
difficult for another, but still is possible.
Leadership and management
Is a position; an activity that a leader does and a characteristic of a leader- really strong, perhaps,
maybe their mannerisms, etc.
“Leadership complements management and does not replace it”
– John Kotter
- Leadership is about setting and discussing a direction- Management is aligning and
motivating those people to move in that direction, and therefore creating a leadership
culture (through plan/control, organising/staffing, problem solving etc.).
- Developing leader managers: Some are gifted as leaders and are hopeless managers;
vice-versa. Very few are gifted with both.